C.G. Drews's Reviews > Big Bones

Big Bones by Laura Dockrill

did not like it
bookshelves: read-2018, young-adult

I don't want to write negatives reviews anymore but -- I'm just going to highlight this one for massive ableist trigger warning. Basically a secondary character has an accident and ends up in a wheelchair, causing the protagonist to (a) freak out so much she stops eating, (b) keeps talking about how life is "so short" and we should all be physical and move around while we can in case we "end up in a wheelchair." I...this is just so hella offensive. And that's only one thing I'm furious about so...

Solid no. Having a disability is not the end of your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Bones.

August 5, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 – Shelved
August 6, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 6, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Shayla (new)

Shayla Schlaraffenland Ugh, I hate that trope. My younger sister has been in a wheelchair her entire life, and she is the most influential person I've met. She's sweet, sassy, girly, and adventurous; she'd got a huge presence and attitude. I've been able to see every aspect of her personality even though she can't walk or speak too clearly. I'm tired of negative representation being some of the only type I can see, especially able-bodied people writing about able-bodied people becoming disabled and acting like they'd rather die.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Trenham This is something that annoys me too! I have a behavioural developmental disorder (which doesn’t impact me that much, really only in regards to social interactions) and so many characters in books regard them as negatives. Disabilities should be put in a more positive light, not as a hinderance.

message 3: by C.G. (new) - rated it 1 star

C.G. Drews @Shayla: Exactly. The protagonist legit mourned the character who ended up in a wheelchair like she had died. And it was this whole thing for HER (an able-bodied person) to accept a disability?!

message 4: by C.G. (new) - rated it 1 star

C.G. Drews @Laura: Agreed. I am so so not standing for ableism any time. I have autism, which obviously is completely different to being in a wheelchair, but it's still something able-bodied people often view as "broken" or "living less because of" and I'm so over it.

For this character who ended up in a wheelchair: YES it was sad she had an accident. NO it was not her dying and NO it was not the end of her life.

So I'm utterly agreeing with you about putting disabilities in a positive light! *atypical hi five*