C.G. Drews's Reviews > Heretics Anonymous

Heretics Anonymous by Katie Henry

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, ya-male-narrators, young-adult

I knew I'd like this book before I even started, so here I AM, saying GOOD BOOK. It's such a call-out to hypocrisy, mixed in with messy and loveable characters and enough weird and gruesome facts about history and saints to make me think fondly of my childhood of reading those Horrible History books. I read so, so many of them. What a throwback.

So yes this book is heavily religious! It's set in a Catholic school + Michael is an atheist + there's Jewish and Wiccan characters featured + and it very deeply talks about theology. Usually I avoid religion-centric books because I grew up in a very conservative church and I'm still furious at all the things I was told to believe as a kid. So I like books that (a) point out hypocrisy, (b) but also take time to show multiple sides and how the bad parts of religion aren't ALL religion. Despite the protagonist being atheist, I didn't think it was anti-God. More anti-people-being-hurt-by-cruel-old-rules and a challenge to the church to listen and do better.

Also can we talk about the characters?! Michael is someone you want to whack over the head at time for all his bad decisions, but I also understood him. I really loved his voice and narration! (His dad = dROVE mE VErY to anGRY. I do not forgive him.)

And the Heretics Anonymous club of: Lucy, Avi, Eden and Max? LOVE THEM ALL SO MUCH. They were so dimensional in so few chapters! Also I totally headcanon that Max is autistic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Makes me happy lemme be. I love how they each had a different religion but were in a Catholic school. Lucy was a very intense Catholic still and acknowledged the church's failings but still loved it as her home. And Avi is this smol angry Jewish gay kid and annoyingly immature at times, but I still liked him a lot.

I just love the characters !! So much!! And there were so many but they all felt unique and different and the diversity was A+.

It did get really intense with the theology/facts about religion. I got lost a few times but then that's probably on me, not the book, because while I learned a lot of this stuff in school, I retain less than a kettle with a hole in it.

Overall it was such a good book! It was cathartic for me to read, plus just overall funning and endearing. It had a ship that was totally adorable if bumpy, and it had some hot-headed dubious moments of BAD DECISIONS which made me unable to put the book down at all for like, um, 2hrs. Everyone grows and changed so much too! Like look at these little characters, all growin' up and having arcs. Love them. Love it.

(Also shout out to the COVER! It makes me realise I can, indeed, cook toast much better than I thought I could.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heretics Anonymous.

August 5, 2018 – Shelved
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 11, 2018 – Started Reading
September 11, 2018 –
page 97
29.48% "I had a feeling this would be glorious AND IT IS GLORIOUS."
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
September 12, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Katie.dorny (new)

Katie.dorny Great review, just convinced me to add this to my tbr :)

C.G. Drews YAyy I am so glad it was convincing!!

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) Yay I loved this one too!

C.G. Drews @Jessi: We have excellent taste in books 😌

Elyse  Walters I LOVE YOUR REVIEW...
Great comments - passion - expression & energy!!!

I have about 2 more hours to go on the Audiobook- tomorrow I’ll finish it ( hanging with my husband tonight watching
Jack Ryan)..,,
You wrote THE BEST REVIEW..,
I love it too!!!!
Remember the ‘cloak’?
I started laughing because I didn’t think it was possible that Saint Claire’s High School would allow that through their door.

The voice for Michael on the Audiobook does a great job.

Wouldn’t this make a wonderful movie?

Cheers and thanks for your great review

Alex 🙌 Ikr! He is not the typical YA hero - who charms others with his looks and caring nature. I just love Michael's character and his narration totally 'steals the show'.

I'm so glad you liked this one!

Lady Willpower So so glad I splurged and gifted this to myself as a congratulations for existing. The bar is low for gifting myself books. I do not mind.

Great idea! I might have to do that sometime. :)