Bmquiram's Reviews > The Girl in the Letter

The Girl in the Letter by Emily Gunnis

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read August 5, 2018.

The Girl in the Letter by Emily Gunnis
Rating 4 out of 5 stars

Summary

Sam and her four-year-old daughter are living with her grandmother because she is having marriage troubles and is taking a break from her husband Ben. She is struggling to make a name for herself as a journalist while living the life of a single mother. When she finds a faded old letter in her grandmother's house she thinks she has found the story that will catapult her to the top of the industry. She end’s up following lead after lead before she uncovers a startling part of history.

Kitty Cannon is keeping a secret and that secret is tearing her soul apart. She is desperate for someone, anyone to admit their role in the life-altering event she can’t forget; no matter how hard she tries.

Comments and opinion

I loved this book from the beginning until the end. I would love to watch it as a movie or even better a mini-series on television. The story is one of the best I have read in quite a while. Every chapter had something in it that I enjoyed and most had aspects that I loved.

The author did an exceptional job of mixing drama and suspense with historical information. One chapter would get to my emotions and I would be so close to tears. The next chapter would have me on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. The author somehow managed to mix historically relevant details into the text. Even though the story was fiction, it was based on history and it read as if it was a first-hand retelling of a personal story. Simply great.

The one criticism I have is that the story is written using British slang. Every time the slang was used I took a second to pause and interpret the meaning of the word. This caused me to break from the story and the emotional connection. The author would mention a character using a walking frame and I had to stop to recollect that this was a walker for the elderly. Another example was when a character would use a torch and I would pause to realize the character was using a flashlight. Half one was used for half-past one and biog was used for a biography of bio. There were several words that caused pause and kept me for giving this the best rating possible, but it is a story that I would recommend to anyone interested in drama, suspense, or fiction that reads as historical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Letter.

July 19, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
July 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
July 30, 2018 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 5, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 – Shelved
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Diana You'd expect a British author writing a story about events happening in Britain to use American terms instead of everyday British words (not slang, real dictionary words)? Sheesh, the arrogance of some readers!

message 2: by Bmquiram (last edited Oct 17, 2018 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bmquiram I don't expect an author to use or not use terms of any manner. I alwasy try to give honest feedback. My reasons for the comment is big scale. Authors and publucists want to sell the most copies of a book as possible. A small disconnect for readers from a book may prevent them from recomending it.

Second when I considered the terms used in the Harry Potter series (as a reader) I didn't feel the disconnect and many of those words were made up. I didnt have to pause for understanding even with made up words not just slang.

The author can take my suggestion or leave it but it did have a reason. It is an area of the writing style to consider. It may also help readers be prepared for the slang so they don't feel the same disconect.

Diana You've missed the point totally. It's not slang, they're actual real words. It would be bizarre to use either an American term for a torch or a made-up word! If it's a British book about British people in Britain, people will use British words. People don't not buy British books because they contain British words. Sheesh.

Diana You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. But you're also not prepared to listen to someone who actually knows about this kind of thing. Enjoy your little bubble.