Michele's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

Dec 17, 2011

Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy

Connie Willis is one of my favorite Authors and I was happy to see her come out with another book. This was a fascinating look back at London England during the Blitz. The historians go back in time to England to observe heros - which to break off for a moment - sort of seemed like a dopey explanation to what they were doing in England, however this is a fiction book so I just went with it. Many reviews criticize that plot point - but whatever.

While they are there they realize their drop zones to return them to the 21st century will not work anymore. Meanwhile the more they are in England interacting with the locals, the more they feel they may be impacting the time continuum and causing changes that could ultimately affect the outcome of the war.

As the book unfolds it turns into an amazing historical fiction account of what the people of England went through during the Blitz: sleeping in the underground stations, the ruins everywhere, streets impassable - it made me curious to know more about London and the Blitz and I spend time online reasearching and reading other web pages as a result.

While its true the book does not end off in a nice summary of events.. the second book does continue off right where Blackout left out. Many people criticized that too but it didn't bother me that much having been able to read these two books back to back.

Another great book by Connie Willis.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.