Meredith's Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

bookshelves: edelweiss

“Every choice held consequence.”

The Line that Held Us is a vicious, violent, dark and dirty novel about the consequences stemming from an accidental shooting deep in the Appalachian mountains.

While out hunting one evening, Darl Moody makes a kill that has jarring consequences. He thought he shot a wild boar but instead shot a man. Darl decides not to report the incident and calls on his best friend, Calvin Hooper, to help him bury the body. The aftermath of this decision results in a gruesome battle with the dead man’s brother, Dwayne Brewer.

David Joy takes a violent accident and turns it into an all-out war for survival. It’s a gruesome, honest, and shattering story that left me, at times, feeling stuck in the thick, dark atmosphere of this small community. This is an ugly, gritty story that I was forced to put down several times--at times, it was just too much.

While the plot is simple, the characters are complex. There are quiet moments interrupted by the sheer brutality of Dwayne's character. It’s almost like a tornado comes in and swipes away peace in the blink of an eye. Tension gradually builds to the point of implosion; I honestly thought I was going to pass out when I got to the ending as it was quite stressful to read!

I found this a thought-provoking, uncomfortable read that left me nearly shattered in the end. Beware: The Line that Held Us is not for the faint of heart!

“Some people were born too soft to bear the teeth of this world. There was no place for weakness in a world like this. Survival was so often a matter of meanness.”

I received an ARC of this book from Edelweiss and G.P. Putnam's Sons in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

August 5, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 – Shelved
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: edelweiss
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Meredith! This sounds like a tough read but one that I have to look into for sure! :-)

Kaceey - Traveling Sister Terrific review Meredith!

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS I imagine this one was tough to get through, Meredith! Fabulous review!! XoXo

message 4: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Great review Meredith!!! Definitely moving this one up on my list.

message 5: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Fab review Meredith! Glad you enjoyed!!!

message 6: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Wow, sounds pretty intense!! Excellent review, Meredith!! 😊

Paula Kalin Wonderful review, Meredith! I just finished and loved this book!

Angela M Meredith, it does sound like a tough one but I’ve just started this tonight because . Great review.

Meredith Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith! This sounds like a tough read but one that I have to look into for sure! :-)"

Thank you, Norma! I hope you get a chance to read it!

Meredith Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Terrific review Meredith!"

Thank you so much, Kaceey!

message 11: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Wow! Simply stunning review, Meredith! This sounds like it is intense beyond intensity! I have it on my wishlist and will definitely need to be in the right kind of mood to read this!

message 12: by Berit☀️✨ (new)

Berit☀️✨ Fantastic review and this looks like such a powerful book, not sure if I’m up for it! 💕

Cheri Terrific review, Meredith, David Joy's writing, for me, makes it worth it to me to read anything he writes (at least so far), but his characters do make some... disturbing choices in life!

message 14: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Fabulous review Meredith! 😊

Meredith KAS wrote: "I imagine this one was tough to get through, Meredith! Fabulous review!! XoXo"

Thank you, KAS! It was tough but well worth it!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Meredith! I can’t wait to read it!

Susanne Strong Great review Meredith! Sounds so incredible, yet so hard to read. I can’t wait to read it!

Meredith Susan wrote: "Great review Meredith!!! Definitely moving this one up on my list."

Thank you, Susan! I hope you like it as much as I did!

Meredith Kendall wrote: "Fab review Meredith! Glad you enjoyed!!!"

Thank you, Kendall!

Meredith Julie wrote: "Wow, sounds pretty intense!! Excellent review, Meredith!! 😊"

Intense it is! Thank you, Julie!

message 21: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Meredith 👏🏻

Meredith Paula wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith! I just finished and loved this book!"

Thank you, Paula! Glad you loved it too!

Meredith Angela M wrote: "Meredith, it does sound like a tough one but I’ve just started this tonight because . Great review."

It is tough but well worth it! I hope you enjoy!

message 24: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Wonderful review, Meredith! :)

Meredith Jaline wrote: "Wow! Simply stunning review, Meredith! This sounds like it is intense beyond intensity! I have it on my wishlist and will definitely need to be in the right kind of mood to read this!"

Thank you, Jaline! Intense beyond intensity is the perfect way to describe it! I would have a light read nearby for when you finish!

Meredith Berit☀️✨Traveling Sister✨ wrote: "Fantastic review and this looks like such a powerful book, not sure if I’m up for it! 💕"

Thank you, Berit! It's not for everyone!

Meredith Cheri wrote: "Terrific review, Meredith, David Joy's writing, for me, makes it worth it to me to read anything he writes (at least so far), but his characters do make some... disturbing choices in life!"

Thanks, Cheri! This was my first David Joy book and I think I wasn't completely prepared, lol!

Meredith Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Fabulous review Meredith! 😊"

Thank you so much, Suzy!

Meredith Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith! I can’t wait to read it!"

Thank you, Jennifer! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Meredith Susanne wrote: "Great review Meredith! Sounds so incredible, yet so hard to read. I can’t wait to read it!"

Thank you, Susanne! Can't wait to see what you think!

Carol Reading next! Great review Meredith!

Meredith Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Meredith 👏🏻"

Thank you, Maureen!

Meredith Michelle wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith! :)"

Thank you so much, Michelle!

Meredith Maddie wrote: "Outstanding review, Meredith"

Thank you, Maddie!

Paula Kalin Meredith, just reread your review. You are so on point! You said it all...loved this book!

Meredith Carol wrote: "Reading next! Great review Meredith!"

Thank you, Carol! Can't wait to see what you think!

Meredith Paula wrote: "Meredith, just reread your review. You are so on point! You said it all...loved this book!"

Awww, thanks Paula! So glad you loved!

message 38: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Glad you enjoyed XO :)

Zoeytron A brutal and intense read, this author means business. Terrific review, Meredith.

Meredith Lisa wrote: "Glad you enjoyed XO :)"

Thank you so much, Lisa!

Meredith Zoeytron wrote: "A brutal and intense read, this author means business. Terrific review, Meredith."

Thank you, Zoeytron! I now know what to expect for future books by David Joy.

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wonderful review, Meredith!!! This sounds INTENSE (which I love 😉)!

Meredith Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Meredith!!! This sounds INTENSE (which I love 😉)!"

Intense is the perfect way to describe this book, Mackenzie! I hope you get the chance to read it!

message 44: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Nice review, Meredith! I just added this one to my library list

message 45: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy This sounds fascinating Meredith, so glad you enjoyed it! I’ve had this on library hold, hopefully will be available soon. X😊

Meredith Jen wrote: "Nice review, Meredith! I just added this one to my library list"

Thank you, Jen! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Meredith Tammy wrote: "This sounds fascinating Meredith, so glad you enjoyed it! I’ve had this on library hold, hopefully will be available soon. X😊"

Thank you, Tammy! I hope you enjoy--prepare for an intense reading experience!

message 48: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Fantastic review!

Meredith Deanna wrote: "Fantastic review!"

Thank you so much, Deanna!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Meredith! I have this one and hope to read it soon!

« previous 1