Ashley Houser's Reviews > Christmas at the Chalet

Christmas at the Chalet by Anita Hughes

liked it

** spoiler alert **
Out today!

The first thing that drew me to this book was that gorgeous cover! I mean, look at it. Who wouldn't want to be snuggled up in a little mountain chalet drinking hot chocolate in front of a warm fire while reading this book? Yes, please!

The second thing that drew me: Christmas! Yes, I know it's not even Halloween yet and I'm all about the spooky reads right now but I'm preparing myself for the holidays, okay?

Anita Hughes gives us three stories in one with this book. A charming wedding dress designer whose long-term relationship is crumbling, a up-and-coming fashion model trying to get her divorced parents to cooperate for the sake of her wedding, and a glimpse into the past at those parents and their journey from love to disaster.

So... this book was essentially a Hallmark or made-for-Netflix holiday movie in book form. It was cute and enjoyable. It made me happy to read and I would totally love to curl up with it on a cold winter day. That being said, it was not the most well written and was kind of basic. Most of the character interactions were pretty cheesy and weren't really believable. I don't know if I can get on board with a character falling in love in a matter of days or with two divorced parents who hate each other magically reconciling overnight. Again, Hallmark. If you can see past all that though, it's a great "feel good" story and at 288 pages it's a breeze.

The other thing I was slightly disappointed in was the lack of Christmas spirit. While I totally got the Swiss Alp/ski lodge feel this book was going for, I didn't really feel like it screamed "Christmas." Yes, it took place over the Christmas holiday but otherwise was more of a "winter" read than a "Christmas" read.

All of that being said, if you're just looking for a light hearted, quick read for winter, this is your book.

-I was gifted an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Anita Hughes, and St. Martin's Press (faves!) for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas at the Chalet.

August 5, 2018 – Shelved