Sophie's Reviews > Jekel Loves Hyde

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Dec 17, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011

This book had an interesting concept, and since I recently read the original Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I was prepared to be entertained by a modern YA retelling of the story. From the beginning, though, I had a bit of a problem with the book's premise--that Jill Jekel and Tristen Hyde are descendants of the original Jekyll and Hyde, and that R. L. Stevenson's novel was based on actual events. I got over that suspension-of-disbelief hump, however, and was still willing to be drawn into the story, but I just didn't think the execution of it was all it could be. The story has an odd format--it is told from the perspectives of both Jill and Tristen, both in first person, and the story bounces between hero and heroine from chapter to chapter. The alternating perspectives might not have been so bad if it hadn't happened so very often. The book is 282 pages long and has 94 chapters, plus a prologue and epilogue. That averages out to just under three pages per chapter. That's a lot of bouncing around, even though the chapter endings didn't always signal a point-of-view change. Sometimes the author stayed within the same character's point-of-view, and even the same scene, but threw in a chapter ending. And since the author liked to end her chapters with cliffhangers of the if-only-I-had-known-then variety, the book quickly felt overwrought. After all, there are only so many cliffs you can be dangled over before you become a bit inured to it. Overall, though, the story held my interest and I liked the changes that Jill and Tristen went through, even if I didn't feel like the plot always followed a logical flow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jekel Loves Hyde.

December 17, 2011 – Started Reading