Lola 's Reviews > Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: fantasy, forbidden-love, magic, war-setting

Can we all just agree that Laini Taylor is a goddess?

Not the kind of goddess who brings despair to your spirit, but the kind who appeases it with angelic words.

If you remember, this book’s publication date was postponed. It was released in March of 2017, but was supposed to hit the shelves months before.

I, like many others, was heartbroken when I got the news. I was even annoyed. How dare Laini Taylor do this to us? How dare she tease us in such a way?

Well. I can say, from the bottom of my heart, that all is forgiven. If the story had been tremendously bad, I could have held a grudge maybe, but it’s not. It’s tremendously original, well-written, magical and romantic.

There is everything you could possibly want from a fantasy tale: a carefully-constructed world-building with its own history and culture, developed characters—villains, heroes, and those in-between—, lush descriptions that speak of Laini Taylor’s way with words and passionate mind, as well as a forbidden love story that will be the focus of your dreams tonight.

What is it about forbidden love that awakens my soul? Is it the secrecy of it? Or is it the intensity of the emotions of the two beings feeling them? Or the fact that it seems as though the whole world is against you, and yet you need no one but the person next to you?

Yes, I am turning to mush. Please don’t step on me. I am at my most vulnerable state.

There’s nothing else I want more right now than to plunge into the sequel. Nothing else. Who cares if one of my most anticipated 2018 books just came out? Not I.

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange the Dreamer.

August 5, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 – Shelved
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Aranda Glad to hear it was worth the wait Lola. I just got my copy and hope to read it within the year. I can picture myself reading it happily in the fall.

Lola Definitely worth the wait. It's an intimidating read for sure, but take your time - read maybe 50 pages a day - and you will survive lol. (I'm saying this because I was super intimidated hehe). Hope you love! :)

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS Wonderful review, Lola, and glad it was worth having to wait for it’s release ;) xoxo

message 4: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey That’s so great! I hated this one and had to dnf it. I might have to finish-hate-read it and give it a proper roasting review. But I much prefer it when I like books.

Tani Oh yes! I loved this book and your review. I agree on everything that you said. Laini Taylor is a goddess. <3<3

Iulia Great review! I also loved this book and I'm counting the days until the sequel comes out.

Lola KAS wrote: "Wonderful review, Lola, and glad it was worth having to wait for it’s release ;) xoxo"

Thank you, KAS! :)

Lola Audrey wrote: "That’s so great! I hated this one and had to dnf it. I might have to finish-hate-read it and give it a proper roasting review. But I much prefer it when I like books."

Oh, no! Well, sometimes I review a book without finishing it so you can still do that, no need to force yourself to finish :P

Lola Taniksha wrote: "Oh yes! I loved this book and your review. I agree on everything that you said. Laini Taylor is a goddess. <3<3"

Right! I remember reading your review and loving it too. I can't wait for us to read the sequel (and last book?). It's going to be epic.

Lola Iulia wrote: "Great review! I also loved this book and I'm counting the days until the sequel comes out."

Wonderful :))

message 11: by Masooma (new)

Masooma Great review, Lola. But I didn't like the other series from this author. So, I suppose the book is not for me. Btw, I read you recommendation-The Wicker King- I loved it. I will add a review soon. <3

Lola I find that this series is much more unique and interesting than Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but it's also more descriptive, so unless you don't mind slow, it might just work for you?? Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about her other series? :P

YES, I AM EAGERLY AWAITING YOUR REVIEW!!!!

Desirai What a great review! Forbidden love is the best thing ever. I don't know of anything else that can generate more intense of a reaction.

Holly This was so great! I'm sad for myself that it took me this long to pick it up!

message 15: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Arnold Excellent review!