Christina's Reviews > The Long Loneliness: The Autobiography of the Legendary Catholic Social Activist

The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day

Dec 17, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: memoirs
Read from March 26 to 30, 2012

“The Long Loneliness” was sure a “long read”. Dorothy Day is definitely a ‘modern’ day saint but her autobiography left me feeling the Lenten dryness. The parts where she does discuss her childhood, her spiritual journey, and aspects of the Catholic Worker and charity programs she founded were very insightful. Many things she said was like she was my reading my secret thoughts. However, she brings out what we all think, experience, and long for as human beings. We are definitely created to adore God and there is a long loneliness when we are separated from Him, though she describes the Long Loneliness in a different light. We are constantly longing for God and at times to ultimately Love Him means we must make sacrifices. For her it was the sacrifice of no longer having her common law husband, creature comforts, amongst other sacrifices she embraced.
The problem with her writing is the fact it rambles and is very dry. When she does start discussing her personal life and her spiritual journey, it is enlightening. Unfortunately she abruptly starts changing paths in her story and refer back in time, or fast forwards, and speaks about people she had encountered, or she goes on and on about all these philosophers and social justice radical/communism/anarchist authours she devoured since she was a youth. There are pages literally she talks about these writers. Understanding, yes she had to speak about these writers to let the audience know where her mindset and influences stem from; however, she keeps doing this repeatedly throughout the books and she says the same things over and over when referring to them.
My advice? I would not read this novel if you have no clue who is Dorothy Day. You will not make it past the third chapter and you will miss out a lot of her Dorothy Day’s beautiful story and spiritual life. Pop some popcorn and rent the movie, or browse online for overview of Dorothy Day. This book was a ‘long read’ and I had to laugh as I approach the last part of the book and her first confessor and dearest priest friend told Dorothy that her writing was dull and had no style. Dorothy was a wonderful woman and I have no doubt she is in heaven. Yet, I can tell she was a journalist not a novelist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Loneliness.

03/26/2012 page 28