Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“I wadn’t aware that words could hold so much. I didn’t know a sentence could be so full.”

I cannot imagine a book that will end up beating Where the Crawdads Sing for my best read of 2018. Truly, this was a case where the entire thing was practically perfect in every way for me (the only minor quibble I had was with the snippets of poetry, but that’s because I hate poetry). Due to the fact that I am so absolutely strung out and hungover from this book, I’m going to do words even less well than I usually do.

The story here starts in 1969 with a dead body – and then it immediately timehops back to 1952. It’s there you meet Kya on the day her mother has decided to up and leave the family and the marsh behind. Kya’s siblings follow their mother’s footsteps in short order – as does her father eventually. It’s then that Kya becomes known as “the Marsh Girl” and the reader works their way back to finding out what exactly happened to that dead fella.

This was a true genre bender that had something for nearly everyone – coming of age, family strife, first love, first loss, and dare I forget – a potential murder. It was a modern day To Kill A Mockingbird and I feel so honored to have been approved for an advanced copy.

If you’re looking for an epic tale that spans over five decades, look no further than . . . .

“Way out yonder, where the crawdads sing.”

All the Stars there are to Star.

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest (*cough blubbering cough*) review. Thank you, NetGalley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Crawdads Sing.

August 4, 2018 – Shelved
August 22, 2018 – Shelved as: like-this-or-we-cant-be-friends
August 22, 2018 – Shelved as: lil-bit-of-chickenfriend
August 22, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
August 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 1: by Char (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char Great review, Kellie. Added to my TBR!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Char wrote: "Great review, Kellie. Added to my TBR!
(Psst to a misspelling of the title in the first full paragraph, because you are so excited.)"

Thanks for the head's up. Yeah, she's not signing anything here ; )

Char I deleted my comment. It never happened.

This sounds really good, though not quite up my alley?

message 4: by Casey (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:32AM) (new) - added it

Casey DAMN! I remember seeing this one somewhere that it was available to me at no monies but I skipped over it bc there was no mention of my big three (kilts, dragons, lady assassins) but now I'm really mad at myself for not snagging this one when I had the chance.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Char wrote: "I deleted my comment. It never happened.

This sounds really good, though not quite up my alley?"

Definitely not your typical read. The Mockingbird comparison is (in my opinion) the closest I can get with the South/discrimination/rich and poor/coming of age/trial/etc. aspects. Might be worth rolling the dice if it goes on sale for a buck or two.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Casey wrote: "DAMN! I remember seeing this one somewhere that it was available to me at no monies but I skipped over it bc there was no mention of my big three (kilts, dragons, lady assassins) but now I'm really..."

Yeah, I think this is like $12.99 for a Kindle copy which is WAAAAAY more than I'm willing to spend on electronic reads. Thank god my library systems are so amazing that I don't have to live in a cardboard box to support my habit.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Oooooh *closes eyes*

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Oooooh *closes eyes*

Lol, can't look at your review b/c I just got this!! (But I'm sure that it's great. Will come back after I read this one.)"

I hope you love it!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* DAmmit!!! I want this one so bad.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "DAmmit!!! I want this one so bad."

You need this one.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ High praise! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "High praise! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one."

I need to set up a Google alert in case it goes on sale LOL.

debra Zounds!!! Have it on hold, and ,of course, because of your wonderful review hold is not good enough. It has moved into NOW

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I think you’ll like this one debra : )

Melanie On the wish list it goes!

message 16: by Deanna (new)

Deanna ahhh I had to add this one too!! I love this review :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Deanna wrote: "ahhh I had to add this one too!! I love this review :)"

Melanie wrote: "On the wish list it goes!"

Yay! I’ve seen this posted a bit on Bookstagram, but I don’t think that necessarily translates to sales. I’m ready for these little sleepers to start getting acknowledged - not every book gets a mass market campaign push : (

message 18: by Bark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bark Now I need this one!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Bark wrote: "Now I need this one!"

Everyone needs this one ; )

Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. I've got an arc of this I haven't picked up. Your review has definitely made me more excited to get into it :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. wrote: "I've got an arc of this I haven't picked up. Your review has definitely made me more excited to get into it :)"

Yay!!!!

message 22: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike So happy to see your five stars for this one, Kelly. Love that quote you opened your review with.

Can't say this was absolute perfection for me but I loved it none the same. It was visual and visceral with wonderful peaks of observations from the natural world, and a character that I cared for immensely.

One of my favorite reads this year as well.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I'm so glad you enjoyed it Mike!

Jennifer Excellent review!

message 26: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy Wow, great review!
Now I just need to find some time to read this! Argh!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Eilonwy wrote: "Wow, great review!
Now I just need to find some time to read this! Argh!"

Thank you : ) It practically read itself once I started it!

message 28: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Like I told your BFF...my New England butt would not typically be drawn to this but y’alls reviews have sold me. Adding! Thank you.

message 29: by Bark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bark OMG it was so good! Thank you for making me read it :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Kelli wrote: "Like I told your BFF...my New England butt would not typically be drawn to this but y’alls reviews have sold me. Adding! Thank you."

Yay!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Bark wrote: "OMG it was so good! Thank you for making me read it :)"

I'm so glad you liked it : )

Stephanie I 100% agree. My only complaint is the poetry. I don't like poetry. I don't get poetry. Confession.. I glossed over every poem but the last one.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Stephanie wrote: "I 100% agree. My only complaint is the poetry. I don't like poetry. I don't get poetry. Confession.. I glossed over every poem but the last one."

SAME!