Rebecca's Reviews > A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly  Jackson

bookshelves: favourites, reviewed, to-sort

Originally posted to www.rebeccasravereviews.wordpress

I received a copy of A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder in exchange for an honest review, so thanks to NetGalley and Electric Monkey!

Five years ago, Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh, in a tragedy that the little town of Little Kilton still hasn’t got over. Pip, only twelve at the time, is now doing her EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) at school, and has decided to hash up all the bad memories, the witness testimonies, and the news reports from the murder. Because, in her mind, Sal Singh is innocent.

Pip manages to dig deeper than the police ever did, not stopping to believe that the ‘I did it’ text Sal sent his father could be an actual confession. With the help of Sal’s brother Ravi, Pip crosses boundaries, breaks laws, and pushes the walls of her ‘good girl’ image in an attempt to find the real murderer, and uncover the truth about what happened five years ago.

The first thing I have to say is THANK YOU to NetGalley and the publishers, Electric Monkey, for releasing this on NetGalley. Last year, if you follow any sort of book bloggers/book tubers/bookstagrammers, you must have seen all of the hype surrounding this book as the first lot of proofs were given out at YALC in the summer. Since then, this book has never left my radar, and the marketing team have done an insane job at hyping it up and making me desperate to read it.

Then a sample was released on NetGalley, which you can read my review of here, and ever since I have kept my eyes as peeled as possible for the chance to get my hands on a full ARC.

And I did. And it took me two days to read. I inhaled this book, and it was so totally worth the wait.

I loved how British it is, for one thing. I couldn’t name you many YA British thrillers (and if you can, please hit me up with recommendations!) and so this made a nice change from all the US-centric stuff that’s out there. The fact pip is doing her extended project took me hurtling back to sixth form and the hell that EPQ was before I dropped it. But it’s a nice touch to the book.

I loved Pip. I see myself a lot in her – quiet and hard working, and seen as the teachers pet or the goody goody two shoes. I was never as motivated with my studying as Pip, but it was nice to have a character who took her school seriously. But Pip was fun too! There was no either/or in her studying and her fun. She went camping, she always hung out with her friends; if you had the chance to solve a cold case, I think you’d be putting as much effort into it as Pip was. She had a great vibe to her, and immediately I was drawn to her awkwardness, her fumbling and her facts when she was nervous, but also her banter and quick quips with Ravi. The friendships were all very believable and fun, but with real feeling, loyalty, and history.

The thriller aspect of the book was wild. Every time something was solved, Pip found about another twelve problems to add to the list of ‘what the hell is going on?’ I’m never very good at guessing the murderer in thrillers anyway, but I never would have seen this coming. It was twisty and captivating and I felt right in Pip’s shoes, like I HAD to find this out for myself, as if I had things at stake on it. It was such a ride that I was happy enough to just sit back and read and let the thriller take me where it was going to take me, without trying to second guess where the investigation was going. I’m not going to say more, for fear of spoilers, just now it was so clever, and very well written, and I would love to read every single thing Holly Jackson next comes out with.

Speaking of Jackson, I want to shout out how much effort all the diagrams, maps, and page extracts from Pip’s project must have taken! Not to mention all the links that went in her references. It really added to the sense that this was a real project and made me dive deeper into the world of Pip and Little Kilton.

This is such a great book. It’s addictive, captivating, and so well planned. An absolute accomplishment for Jackson, and I can see this book doing absolutely amazingly on it’s release. I can also see it making for a great adaptation too – maybe a two/three parter on BBC?

A well deserved 5 out of 5 stars! Go and get your copy on release day – A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder is out May 2nd by Electric Monkey

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good Girl's Guide to Murder.

August 4, 2018 – Shelved
August 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 26, 2019 – Started Reading
April 27, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 28, 2019 – Shelved as: favourites
April 28, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
May 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-sort

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona 13 Minutes is a UKYA thriller!