Virginia's Reviews > A Moveable Feast

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

Dec 17, 2011

it was ok

A waiter asks Hemingway who Fitzgerald was and why can’t he (the waiter) remember him. Hemingway says he has been planning to write about the old days in Paris and he would be sure to include Fitzgerald. This must be that book. It was published after his death. I wonder if Hemingway really intended to publish it or if he was just putting down memories that he didn’t want to forget. Stein said his writing was inaccrochable and I have to agree that this book is.

I read The Paris Wife and was looking forward to Hemingway’s version of their life. This book did not fulfill my expectations. It was more about his writer friends, not much about his wife. He mentions his wife several times in the beginning as “my wife”. On page 54 he mentions Hadley. On page 53 he mentions Chink. On page 96 he says he made a bottle for Mr. Bumby. If I hadn’t read The Paris Wife first, I wouldn’t know who these people were. It made me think this was a draft, not ready for publication.

If you plan to read it to find out about the other woman, don’t bother. I read the whole book for that reason, and he finally gets to it in the last three pages. But there is a beautiful quote “I wished I had died before I loved anyone but her.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Moveable Feast.

message 1: by Al (new) - rated it 5 stars

Al Riske There's a bit more of what you were looking for in the Restored Edition of the book, though probably not as much as you'd like.