Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > Winter in Paradise

Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand

it was ok
bookshelves: 2018, audible, not-for-me, romance, disappointing

*My review will contain spoilers*

I want to know why Elin went with this particular ending. To say that I was disappointed it's an understatement.

Winter in Paradise tells the story of Irene Steel. A woman in her fifties, married to Russ and who has two grown children, Cash and Baker.

She recently received a promotion at her job but she understands it really leads to an early retirement. She is very unhappy about this news when she receives a phone call after New Year's telling her that her husband has been in an accident and he has perished in a helicopter crash in the Caribbean. Irene doesn't understand what her husband was doing in St. John. Worse, when he died, he wasn't alone, a West Indian woman was with him. She calls her sons to inform them about the accident and they all fly together to learn more about his death.

Cash and Baker both had bad news before this particular phone call. Cash has lost his two business stores (which Russ gave him the money for) and Baker's wife, Anna a cardiothoracic surgeon, has told him she has fallen in love with another woman.

Soon after arriving at the USVI, the brothers learn that her father was not as good as they thought. He had a mistress and probably was working in something illegal. Russ owns a secluded villa with nine bedrooms which had to cost millions.

I'm going to stop here with the plot and I'm going to tell you what I dislike about it.

*Spoilers ahead*

*All the family members had very poor communication. They all kept secrets from each other. A complete disconnect in a family that should be mourning together.

*There is insta-love (which I hate) between both brothers and one island girl, Ayers. Although, it's more like a square since she also has a cheating ex-boyfriend (one that by the end of the book she chooses to go back to because it's the one she knows the best. Really?? Her choice as a woman is to go to the cheating guy because she can't do any better (she doesn't even consider staying alone) or because every man cheats????

*The two brothers were always acting like brats, fighting over the same girl. Neither was good enough. One was a pot head and the other one wanted to live like a bum. Neither had any type of aspiration. Cash lost his two stores and the only thing he was looking forward was to go back to skiing. He didn't seem worried about his future and no money. I thought Cash was so immature. He calls Ayers to tell on his brother. He spent his time trying to undermine Baker. The worst part was that Irene had a favorite son and she was blinded to his incompetence.

*Then there is a particular scene between one of the brothers and Ayers having sex on the beach. No protection needed (or mentioned) and when they get interrupted, life goes on without much fanfare.

I believe Irene, Huck, and Maia saved this book. They were so much more interesting to me. Huck was grieving the loss of his step-daughter while trying to be a good grandparent to Maia. He was nice to Irene when he didn't need to be. He also supported Ayers emotionally.

Maia was a sweet kid who lost her mother Rosie (Russ's mistress) and yet she was dealing with it in a positive way. She behaves much more like an adult than Baker or Cash ever did. They should learn from her!

I had no idea this was a trilogy and when it ended in a cliffhanger, it took me by surprise. One last thing, I'm still mad at Irene for having favorites.

Cliffhanger: Yes

2/5 Fangs

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter in Paradise.

August 4, 2018 – Shelved
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: audible
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: not-for-me
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: disappointing

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

❤️ Paulette ❤️ ☕☕ Happy Reading & I hope you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette wrote: "❤️ ☕☕ Happy Reading & I hope you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙"

Thank you, wonderful lady!

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: "❤️ ☕☕ Happy Reading & I hope you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙"

Thank you, wonderful lady!"

🎧☕☕ Always Pleasure - Hope you enjoy your weekend L💕ve ツ

Sheyla ✎ I hope you enjoy yours too

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "I hope you enjoy yours too"

Melissa I have to come back and read this later! And we're probably gonna have to have a thorough discussion. 🤣

Sheyla ✎ Melissa wrote: "I have to come back and read this later! And we're probably gonna have to have a thorough discussion. 🤣"
Sure will. I'm thinking you are going to be disappointed too.

Terrie My review was just like yours only you were more articulate!!! So thanks. I felt bad after I posted it and read all the five-star reviews...but to each their own. And my review started out with GRRRR regarding the cliffhanger! WHAT?! So for me it's an irritating book that I pretty much kept going on just to see how the author would tie it up... and poof... still wondering. Your review was more interesting than the book!!LOL

Sheyla ✎ Terrie wrote: "My review was just like yours only you were more articulate!!! So thanks. I felt bad after I posted it and read all the five-star reviews...but to each their own. And my review started out with GRR..."
Thank you so much Terrie. I was so disappointed with the ending. Neither brother was good enough and so upset about Ayers too. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you either. I'm still going to the read the next two since I really like her writing.

message 10: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I'm sorry this didn't work out but I appreciate your honest review! I hope your next/current read is an excellent one :)

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "I'm sorry this didn't work out but I appreciate your honest review! I hope your next/current read is an excellent one :)"

Thank you, Deanna. This one was a let down but I'm loving her Winter series.

message 12: by Yun (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yun Fantastic review, Sheyla! I just finished this book and you described my thoughts exactly. This was a huge disappointment for me, especially after how much I liked The Perfect Couple.

message 13: by Sheyla ✎ (last edited Nov 30, 2018 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla! I just finished this book and you described my thoughts exactly. This was a huge disappointment for me, especially after how much I liked The Perfect Couple."
Thank you, Yun. It's sad that we feel this way but not every book can be a winner for all of us. I'm not sure how she will continue this series. I'm going to read the next one to know what happens. I do love a lot of her other books. The Winter series is my favorite so far.