John Hanscom's Reviews > Though Not Dead

Though Not Dead by Dana Stabenow

Dec 17, 2011

Recommended for: everyone

I don't know why, given how long I've lived in Alaska, I haven't read one of her books before, but it was excellent, though I am not sure anyone "Outside" (anywhere not Alaska) would find it as fascinating. In addition to the fictional characters necessary for the novel, the book is filled with real people and places, some of whom I have known and met. There are many references only an Alaskan would understand. Here is one example - when the dogsled was being more or less replaced by snow machines, the main machine sold was one called a "snow go." Now, like "kleenex" and "xerox," that term has become generic, especially in the Villages, for any snow machine. These references, for an Alaskan, make the book a lot of fun, and there is a lot of Alaskan history in this one, which, I guess from the blurbs, was not as prevalent in others. Even though those Outside may not get all the references, I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a flavor of Alaska in n easy format. It is certainly better than the James Michener [sp?] book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Though Not Dead.

December 17, 2011 – Started Reading