Melanie's Reviews > The Risk

The Risk by Elle Kennedy

bookshelves: contemporary, new-adult, romance, sports, read-in-2019, arc

ARC provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

#1.) The Chase ★★★★★

I’m not sure what the world has done to deserve Elle Kennedy and all the amazing stories she keeps giving us set around this hockey team, but we are so damn blessed, friends. I hope she continues to write them forever. And The Risk was so sexy, so funny, and so phenomenal. Reading this was pure joy, and my biggest complaint is that I wish we had an extra epilogue, because I want and I need more. The Risk perfectly plays with the enemies to lovers trope, but also adds the fake dating element, and I was truly living my best life while reading this story.

Brenna Jensen - Daughter of Briar’s head hockey coach, and a bit of a bad girl. Even though she has had some awful things happen in her past, she is strong, confident, and isn’t going to let anyone boss her around. Plus, she is focusing on getting a jumpstart with a hockey news internship.

Jake Connelly - Captain of the Harvard’s hockey team, and already all-star. He has signed with the Oilers for the next season, but is trying to win it all his last year in college, and cannot risk any distractions for him or his team.

“I know you’re Chad Jensen’s daughter. I know you would take any opportunity to mess with my players’ heads. I know we’re probably going to be facing off with Briar in the conference finals in a few weeks”

And Brenna and Jake’s paths cross when Jake meets up with Brenna to tell her that she is being a distraction to one of his players. Which, Brenna obviously doesn’t listen to, even if she isn’t really romantically interested in the other Harvard player. But it is the perfect set up for Brenna and Jake’s paths keep crossing as enemies, even if they can’t stop thinking what it would be like if they were lovers.

Plus, we have seen the chemistry between these two characters brewing for so dang long, and even when they are disagreeing on something, their banter is perfection. And they are both the perfect amount of hard and soft, I’m not even going to hint at it, I’m just going to say this: this book has the best sixty-nine sex scene I’ve ever read. Like, there were so many elements that made it so sexy, but it was amazing.

In this story we really see a lot of people in the sports industry be very nasty and hold some very misogynistic views. Sadly, Brenna experiences this first hand when trying to enter the field she eventually wants to work in. But even more sadly, this is something that so many women deal with in our world, too. I’m sure most of who have been to a sports bar, you have heard people say some gross stuff about women interviewers for any pro-sport. But I really loved and appreciated Brenna, and a few other women, trying to break those toxic cycles.

I also loved how this book constantly discusses how bad things that have happened to you in your past are not your fault, even if you can’t help but feel an immense amount of guilt over them. People make bad choices all the time, and just because you love someone and were a part of their life when they were making bad choices, does not mean that those bad choices are your fault whatsoever. This is constantly brought up throughout the book, and I think survivor’s guilt is something that we should talk about more in society, and I really appreciate how it was handled in this book.

I’ll be honest with you, I thought this installment was going to be my favorite out of everything that Elle Kennedy has written, and I truly kept thinking that until around the 85% mark. I just didn’t love the ending of this one, and I felt like the coach being a jerk was just a quick and kind of dumb bump in the road to give us one like little unnecessary angst plot. Which I would have been able to overlook, if we would have seen a really romantic or sexy scene after. But it just got wrapped up, and the Epilogue was more about personal success than relationship success, so it left me wanting so much more. I don’t know, I feel bad saying this, but because the book was so freaking amazing and unputdownable for 85%, that last 15% just felt like such a letdown and left me a bit sad upon closing the book. But I still loved this story as a whole.

Overall, Brenna is, without question, my favorite protagonist from the entire Off-Campus world. And I honestly might even go as far as to say that Jake is my favorite love interest of them all, too. They are both the characters that I would want to date the most, but they are truly so damn perfect for one another. I won’t lie though, I am dying to get Hunter’s book, so I am ready to pray every night that The Play will end up being his book. Also, side note, I do not want Hazel to come back into the story or be a love interest. So, I’m extra crossing my fingers and limbs for that not to happen. But yeah, this was a wonderful installment. I read it in twenty-four hours because I couldn’t put it down. The sex was mind-blowing. The set up was glorious enemies to lovers perfection. And I truly can’t wait to see what comes next.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quote above was taken from an ARC and is subject to change upon publication.

Content and trigger warnings for explicit sex, a lot of misogynistic comments (always challenged), talk of past loss of a loved one, drug addiction and substance abuse, use of the word cr*zy, talk of past miscarrying, and a panic attack.

#1.) The Deal ★★★★
#2.) The Mistake ★★★
#3.) The Score ★★★★
#4.) The Goal

❤ I also read this for Contemporary-a-thon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Risk.

August 3, 2018 – Shelved
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
February 11, 2019 – Started Reading
February 11, 2019 –
60.0% "I am actually in love with this. 💖😈"
February 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Marija (Inside My Library Mind) Oh my god, I am so excited for this one! Hope you love it!

Christy Same, girl!!!! I can't wait xoxo

Roos I pre-ordered it and am so excited for it!

Julia OHMYGOD lucky gal!! i'm so excited for this book

Stephanie I can't wait for this!! Happy reading!

Melanie Marija (Inside My Library Mind) wrote: "Oh my god, I am so excited for this one! Hope you love it!"

I am counting the days until contemporaryathon! 💖xx

message 7: by Melanie (last edited Feb 09, 2019 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie Christy wrote: "Same, girl!!!! I can't wait xoxo"

I hope we love it, Christy loveeee! 💖xx

Melanie Roos wrote: "I pre-ordered it and am so excited for it!"

Yesss! Happy reading, Roos! 💖xx

Melanie Julia wrote: "OHMYGOD lucky gal!! i'm so excited for this book"

THAT FIVE STARS HAS ME HYPED! 💖xx

Melanie Stephanie wrote: "I can't wait for this!! Happy reading!"

Thank you, love! I'm wishing you happy reading, too! 💖xx

message 11: by DarkDamsel (new) - added it

DarkDamsel I can't wait to read it!

Christy Fabulous review, lovely! I can't wait for the next one, either! I think it might be Hunter, too... but I hope it's Brooks ;)

Melanie Darkdamsel wrote: "I can't wait to read it!"

I can't wait either, love! Happy reading! 💖xx

Melanie Christy wrote: "Fabulous review, lovely! I can't wait for the next one, either! I think it might be Hunter, too... but I hope it's Brooks ;)"

Thank you so much, sweetheart! And oh my word! I would be SO happy with either! Ahh... my heart! 💖xx

Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡ Amazing review, Melanie! I'm so excited to read this.

めえっいなあ This book is so lame

jay ☽ As always, great review Melanie! I think I'm going to start the first book tonight.

message 18: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Melanie!😉💖

Melanie Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡ wrote: "Amazing review, Melanie! I'm so excited to read this."

Awh, thank you so much, Rochelle! 💖xx

Melanie めえっいなあ wrote: "This book is so lame"

No u

Melanie Jay wrote: "As always, great review Melanie! I think I'm going to start the first book tonight."

Awh, thank you so much, Jay! I hope you love it, sweetheart! 💖xx

Melanie Brittany wrote: "Like it"

Like you

Melanie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Melanie!😉💖"

Thank you so much, Kat! 💖xx

Melanie Brittany wrote: "Yes cool"

💖xx

message 25: by Anaya (new)

Anaya fantastic review Melanie

Melanie Brittany wrote: "Ok cool"

💖xx

Melanie Anaya wrote: "fantastic review Melanie"

Thank you so much, Anaya love! 💖xx

message 28: by Walker (new) - added it

Walker Wonderful review! I thought the same thing at the end! Where was my epilogue? That was a let down. But amazing book.

message 29: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay I might read this because of your contemporary video...

message 30: by DarkDamsel (new) - added it

DarkDamsel Thanks Melanie for being straightforward on this installment. I am getting to old to waste my time.🥴

message 31: by Naro (new) - rated it 5 stars