Miranda Reads's Reviews > Brave: The Junior Novelization

Brave by Irene Trimble

bookshelves: 2018-finer-books-club-reading-chall

Merida, a Scottish Princess, must be married according to tradition and her mother's wishes - which amounts to her being won in a contest.

Desperate and despondent, Merida tries convincing her mother every which way but her mom refuses to listen.

In a last-ditch effort, Merida throws the archery contest designed to win her hand by competing (and winning) her own hand.

The princes are confused.

The neighboring nobility feel cheated.

And (most of all), Merida's mom is furious.

Merida, even more desperate than before, decides to use magic to convince her mother that her actions were right...only that magic misfires in a major way.

With her mom transformed into a bear and only three days to end the curse - what can Merida possibly do?

Dare I say it? I liked this one better than the movie!

I remember the movie absolutely amazing me with the animation...but ultimately bewildered and confused - there's too much that happened and I just couldn't follow the plot. (Though, I loved just watching Merida's wild mane bounce across the screen.)

The novel, however, was a whole other story.

Brave the novel was a true-to-movie adaption - but it does give the audience a smidge more detail (too which I'm eternally grateful!).

I definitely feel like the relationship between Merida and her mother is a bit more fleshed out in the novel and I understand the subtleties between their arguments significantly better.

I enjoyed how you can really see how the mother-daughter pair really cared for each other, just not in the way that the other needed.

The only thing that was missing was the amazing detail from the movie - such as Merida's hair or the whimsical magic.

Those aspects were truly fantastic in the movie but in the book, they were only given the barest of details (or should I say bearest?).

Overall, rather fun short adaption.

Audiobook Comments
Read by Lucy Rayner - and she did a pretty good job. I liked her display of emotion and range of tone.

The Finer Books Club - 2018 Reading Challenge: A book based on a TV show or movie

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave.

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Tucker (new)

Tucker (TuckerTheReader) The book is better than the movie? No surprise there :)

Miranda Reads LOL - I liked the movie...I just kept getting lost :P

message 3: by Tucker (new)

Tucker (TuckerTheReader) Miranda wrote: "LOL - I liked the movie...I just kept getting lost :P"

Yeah, its kind of a confusing movie

Miranda Reads Maybe I'm just getting too old for these kid movies :p

message 5: by Tucker (new)

Tucker (TuckerTheReader) Miranda wrote: "Maybe I'm just getting too old for these kid movies :p"

No ones ever too old for disney! 😊

Miranda Reads Good point :)

message 7: by Zainab (new) - added it

Zainab Merida is my favourite disney princess after Moanna!

message 8: by Britain Jones (new)

Britain Jones I love that book it makes me brave thank you

message 9: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this storyline was easier to understand during your read, as apposed to the movie version, Miranda ;) Excellent review!! xoxo

message 10: by Britain Jones (new)

Britain Jones It's the best book

Miranda Reads Zainab wrote: "Merida is my favourite disney princess after Moanna!"

Haven't seen Moanna yet but I cannot wait :)

Miranda Reads Britain Jones wrote: "I love that book it makes me brave thank you"

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "Glad this storyline was easier to understand during your read, as apposed to the movie version, Miranda ;) Excellent review!! xoxo"

Same! I liked the movie, just was confused by it :P I did absolutely love Merida's hair :)

message 14: by Britain Jones (new)

Britain Jones I also love the movie

message 15: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Miranda!!

message 16: by Red_Queen_Lover (new)

Red_Queen_Lover Love this review! ( and the movie, lol )

message 17: by Tukunjil (new) - added it

Tukunjil Nayeera Merida is my most favourite disney Princess! I must read this book since you are saying this book is better than the movie!

message 18: by Truebluedah ♪ (new)

Truebluedah ♪ Interstellar

Miranda Reads Britain Jones wrote: "I also love the movie"

Same. It was a beautifully animated movie!

Miranda Reads Deanna wrote: "Great review, Miranda!!"

Thank you Deanna!

Miranda Reads Red_Queen_Lover wrote: "Love this review! ( and the movie, lol )"

Miranda Reads Tukunjil wrote: "Merida is my most favourite disney Princess! I must read this book since you are saying this book is better than the movie!"

Oh that is so cool. I always loved Belle the most.... mostly cause of her library!

Miranda Reads Truebluedah ♪ wrote: "Interstellar"

Awesome!

message 24: by Jaline (new)

Jaline What a cute cover!! And a great review, too!! Thanks, Miranda. 👍

Miranda Reads Thank you Jaline!

message 26: by Britain Jones (new)

Britain Jones Hi M