Marina's Reviews > Alexander and Alestria

Alexander and Alestria by Shan Sa

F 50x66
Dec 17, 2011

it was ok

I bought this book because it was a story for Alexander the Great. I love historical novels. But this one really disappointed me. There are historical facts mentioned in the book that are true. But there were moments when I said: Oh, my God, this cannot be true. Reading that Alexander was raped by his own father, that he raped a young boy, for me it was just too much.

If you survive Alexander's childhood in the book, reading after that is not that bad.

There is another character, Alestria, the Amazon queen. The story for her wasn't that disturbing. It was well written. It's a story for a strong woman, a woman who wasn't afraid of anyone,a woman who fell in love with the most powerfull man in the world.

In the reality, Alexander married Persian princess Roxana.She gave birth to a boy, but they were both killed after Alexander's death.In the book, Alexander couldn't marry Alestria because she wasn't a princess. So he forced one of the Persian leaders to adopt her, recognize her as a daughter, give her Persian name Roxana. She gave birth to a dead boy.

I didn't like the poetic storytelling of Shan Sa.It is just not for me.

The story for Alexander as a leader is the one I loved. Making the decisions, fighting at the battlefield, taking care for his soldiers, being a commander, a warrior, and a human after all. This is Alexander that I love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexander and Alestria.

December 17, 2011 – Started Reading
December 17, 2011 – Shelved
January 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Milan I find your review interesting, however I'd like to point out that the novel is not meant to be taken as a historical novel. Shan Sa rather used the history and some facts as a backdrop for her mostly poetic purposes. So it is understandable that there is a certain degree of fabrication within the narrative. I concur that scenes of Alexander's childhood are brutal, but then again art should evoke all types of emotion. Also, I agree with you that her style might not be to everybody's liking, but it suited me just fine.