Katie B's Reviews > When We Left Cuba

When We Left Cuba by Chanel Cleeton

bookshelves: arc, cuba, first-to-read, 1960s, fiction, historical-fiction, read-in-2018

If you enjoyed the historical fiction novel, Next Year in Havana, you'll want to check this one out as it features Beatriz Perez. I'm so glad the author decided to write a book about her because she's a fascinating character. Really liked this one as it had a little bit of everything including romance, espionage, and family drama. While this book could be read as standalone novel, I highly recommend checking out the previous book so you can get a better understanding of not just Beatriz but also her family and everything that took place in Cuba.

It's the 1960s and Beatriz and the Perez family are living in Florida after the Cuban Revolution forced them to leave everything behind in Cuba. Beatriz has a lot of anger towards the man responsible for all of the turmoil in her home country, Fidel Castro, and so she agrees to work as a spy for the CIA and infiltrate Castro's inner circle. She soon gets quite an education on the dirty side of politics for both countries and also manages to get caught up in a forbidden love affair. It's fair to say she will be forced to make a lot of tough choices, some with lasting consequences.

I was slightly worried before reading this that it was going to read too much like a spy novel, which isn't really my thing. However, while Beatriz working for the CIA is definitely part of the story, there are other facets of her life that are explored as well. Overall there really was a nice balance to the story. I was drawn the most to Beatriz and her love life but I also enjoyed learning some of the historical facts regarding what was going on between Cuba and the United States during this time. It was also nice to revisit characters from the previous book.

Definitely an enjoyable read and I would love to see the author continue on with featuring Perez family members in future books.

Thank you to First to Read for the free advance digital copy! I was under no obligation to post a review and all views expressed are my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Left Cuba.

August 2, 2018 – Shelved
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: fiction
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
November 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by DJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

DJ Sakata On my TBR

Katie B DJ wrote: "On my TBR"

Hope you enjoy it!

message 3: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Wonderful review, Katie!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wonderful review Katie!! 💜

Katie B Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Katie!"

Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review Katie!! 💜"

Thank you Cheri and Lindsay!

Angela M Katie , glad to see your stars ! Looking forward to this.

Holly  B I'm looking forward to this one. Wonderful review Katie!

Katie B Holly wrote: "I'm looking forward to this one. Wonderful review Katie!"

Angela M wrote: "Katie , glad to see your stars ! Looking forward to this."

I think you will both like it Holly and Angela! This one pretty much lived up to my expectations because Beatriz is such a good character to base a story around.