Michael Turashoff's Reviews > The Late Show

The Late Show by Michael Connelly

3222017

I really enjoyed this book and think it's another hit for Connelly. Ballard is a great character and shows that Connelly can impressively create a relatable female detective cut from the same cloth as Bosch his famous and my favorite "hard-boiled" detective.

Being a man, I think it's impossible for me to say that Ballard is a truly believable female detective which is portrayed as realistic with, what I feel, is a soft side as well as a realistic hard edge that a police officer displays in real life.

However, based on all of the strong women I've ever known she has the same characteristics as them and isn't produced as ditzy, silly, or too sappy sweet. On the other hand she also isn't portrayed as unbelievably masculine.

I didn't mean to get into a debate on how a female cop character should be portrayed but obviously the realism of a character is important to me.

True to all of Connelly's works this novel has plenty of twists, turns, thrills and spills with a surprise ending you never see coming. For true "Whodunit" fans like yours truly, I high recommend this page jammer.

Since I can't say pager "turner" anymore to describe how fast I read a book and couldn't put it down I'll describe it as a page "jammer" because you will swipe through it so fast you'll jam your device and scream in terror when you need to reboot. LOL

Thank you for taking the time to read my review I look forward to chatting with you about all books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Late Show.

August 2, 2018 – Started Reading