Moira K's Reviews > Crazy Rich Asians

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Completed at 1:23 AM!
This is the first book in a long, LONG time that kept me going all night. I was so hooked to find out the ending, what Eleanor & the ladies was talking about the entire book. The last 100 pages, I had my breath completely held! That being said, the last 1-2 chapters felt very meh for Rachel & Nick's ending. I don't know what I would suggest to make it better, but it just didn't quite scratch the itch. I don't want to give anything away, but after the initial reveal, that reactions were good. Just good. Rachel, this was the first time I really felt emotion from her. Again with that critique, lacking that solid character voice. The last two chapters were just bad. Rushed resolution, and they all lived in sunshine, daisies, and Singaporean street food! Cue the eyeroll.

As for Astrid's ending, much better. Without spoiling, Michael's resolution kind of made sense, but I felt like Astrid's response didn't. It could have, but the emotion didn't quite line up to me, my biggest nitpick with her ending. Adding in a *certain character* into Astrid's ending really did add a lot of spice to the situation. I really liked that add, and it left me wanting more, but still satisfied for this book.

Overall, a good fun summer read. My biggest criticism of the book is that Kwan spends so much time on developing other characters talking *about* the main protagonists, it feels like he forgot to finish developing Nick & Rachel. The end felt rushed, squished into a max page count, and a forced happy ending. It left me wanting more, but not in an excited way, more like an itchy mosquito bite way. That being said, from a quick fun lit perspective, it was really good. Easy characters, very descriptive, and an enjoyable read. Will I read the sequels? Probably not, no. Will I still see the movie? Totally. The film is groundbreaking on concept, and I'm dying to see the beautiful backdrops and designs.

I'd like to rate the book a 3.5, but as I can't, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and go with a 4

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Rich Asians.

August 2, 2018 – Started Reading
August 2, 2018 – Shelved
August 13, 2018 –
page 92
September 11, 2018 –
page 201
49.88% "The surprisingly suspenseful lead up has taken half the book, but felt so natural &easy to read. All of the character's voices have bee crystal clear too, easily differentiated from each other. My only criticism/critique so far is that we haven't spent as much time in Rachel's point of view. Her voice is the only one I haven't been able to nail down, and I still get Anastasia Steele vibes from her."
September 16, 2018 –
page 400
99.26% "Note: on page 416/527, clearly a different edition!

Looking to finish up today though, less than 100 pages left! The dramatic slow drip that is the conflict of Crazy Rich Asians is actually killing me, and I am loving it. High key addicted to this book."
September 17, 2018 – Finished Reading