Katrina's Reviews > Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

Jun 18, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2008, read-in-2009
Read in January, 2009 , read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** So far this is my least favorite Marian Keyes novel. I've even stopped partway through to read Rachel's Holiday and Conversations with the Fat Girl and felt somewhat reluctant to continue reading it. I finally did finish it though, just to see if it at some point would have a redeeming quality. For now, it feels like this novel appears in sepia while all other Keyes books I've read are in technicolor (yes, my description is cliche, but it fits!).

After reading, I still feel the same way. I stopped reading right around when Lucy first met Gus, because I HATED him from the start and I hated the interaction that Lucy had with him. Glad to see my contempt was not misguided. I was disgusted with Lucy everytime she so easily let Gus back into her life, which also made it difficult to continue reading the story. I agree with others who have mentioned that it was obvious who Lucy would end up with, but it was barely worth the wait to see how it would happen. I didn't give this book two stars, despite my criticism because there were still quite a few parts that had me laughing out loud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon a second reading, I enjoyed this book much more. I still loathe Gus and all Lucy allows him to put her through. I'm still keeping my rating at three stars though, but a heartier three stars than before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married.

Quotes Katrina Liked

Marian Keyes
“In an unpredictable and unpleasant world it was both unusual and very pleasant to hear what I wanted to hear.”
tags: keyes, life

Marian Keyes
“It was ironic, really - you want to die because you can't be bothered to go on living - but then you're expected to get all energetic and move furniture and stand on chairs and hoist ropes and do complicated knots and attach things to other things and kick stools from under you and mess around with hot baths and razor blades and extension cords and electrical appliances and weedkiller. Suicide was a complicated, demanding business, often involving visits to hardware shops.

And if you've managed to drag yourself from the bed and go down the road to the garden center or the drug store, by then the worst is over. At that point you might as well just go to work.”

Marian Keyes
“I'd rather eat nothing than eat a carrot.”

Marian Keyes
“I had spent my whole life feeling homesick. The only difference between the two of us was that I didn't know what or where home was.”