Bianca (The Ultimate Fangirl)'s Reviews > Jade City

Jade City by Fonda Lee

bookshelves: int-published, will-recommend, fantasy
Recommended to Bianca (The Ultimate Fangirl) by: CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨

Literally me after reading this book: WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
FONDA WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?? I JUST SPLIT MY SOUL IN HALF AGAIN.

I wanted to scream, I wanted to talk about it with someone, and I wanted to get some air to process what I just read. (I was also really hungry...) I couldn't wrap my head with what just happened because it was like... I know I was reading a book but it felt like I was watching a Netflix episode and each episode takes my breath away. There are so many things happening, and it was just so beautifully written that I cannot look away. My uncommitting fantasy disagreeing self is quaking, and I'm really still in awe with what I just read.

While I found the start to be a bit slow, the story managed to latch itself onto what promised (and freakin FULFILLED in more ways than one) to be an epic saga that revolved around family, honor, and power. It's not enough to call this book a marvelous work of art - it's so much more. It's ambitious, enthralling, and consciously engaging with its plot, its characters, and its backbone. Jade City delivers with a punch to the heart, a knock on the head, and a blow to the body. I feel so alive and it's hard to explain what the exact feeling is. It's sort of a rush, like I'm a new graduate from the Academy and I'm finally having a taste for jade.

(Honestly, imagine if I actually finished this book during our Christmas dinners. THEY WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS BOOK IS. They'll ask me things like, "What's wrong with you?!" And I'll just answer stoicly and say, "So. Many. Things.")

"The clan is my blood, and the Pillar is its master. On my honor, my life, and my jade."

I'm just so darn happy to have finally read this book. I'm a raging ball of emotions and I cannot wait for the sequel. I'm just *melts into a freakin puddle*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jade City.

August 2, 2018 – Shelved
November 28, 2018 – Started Reading
November 28, 2018 –
page 217
43.57% "I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing. I'm on the edge of my seat all the time because aghhhh"
December 24, 2018 –
page 398
79.92% "Look. It's Christmas Eve. If anyone else dies, I don't want to be a sobbing mess in front of everyone. But damn, this book. 😭😭😭"
December 26, 2018 – Finished Reading