Kathryn Patterson's Reviews > The Ape That Understood the Universe: How the Mind and Culture Evolve

The Ape That Understood the Universe by Steve Stewart-Williams

bookshelves: non-fiction

"The Ape That Understood the Universe" by Steve Stewart-Williams is an amazing book that discusses how evolutionary forces shaped human beings, and continue to shape human beings, in terms of culture and psychology. The book begins with a fictitious report by an alien species on the strange life on the planet, asking all sorts of questions that seem obvious once someone points them out. Stewart-Williams then goes on to explain humanity, answering the alien's questions.

I found this book to be interesting, in the good sense of the word. I also found that I could not read it as quickly as I read other books. I would cover one section, and then my brain felt full. There is no better metaphor for the sensation. I spent time thinking about what I read, and sometimes I would even reread sections. It was a slow, wonderfully-engaging narrative that made me think about what it means to be human.

I recommend this book to anyone who wonders about who we as a species are, why we exist, and where we might be going.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ape That Understood the Universe.

July 2, 2018 – Started Reading