Daisy May Johnson's Reviews > What Does an Anteater Eat?

What Does an Anteater Eat? by Ross Collins

bookshelves: adorable, animals, funny, picture-books

Picture books are a performative thing. Every book is, in a sense, but picture books are perhaps more performative than others. They are made to be shared and talked about and enjoyed by multitudes of readers. They are made to be read aloud, to inspire funny voices, and to have their corners chewed on by babies who are figuring out this wide, wide world that they live in. I always think that it's a good thing when you can feel this edge of performance to a picture book, where you can sense the parts you'd emphasise or the parts where you'd tease out the tension to that almost unbearable point, and I always think that it's a good thing when you read a picture book and can hear the reaction that it would get.

What Does An Anteater Eat? is a book that's full of that third space, that performative edge, that raw, hysterical laughter that really only little children can do and when they do it, the world laughs with them. And I felt that when I read this book, and that's something quite remarkable. This is a relatively slender story; an anteater wakes up from a nap, is hungry, and tries to remember what he eats. He asks several other animals who provide both useful and useless answers, before happening upon an ants nest and - well, let's just say that anteaters don't actually eat what you think. There's a nice little note in this about not judging on appearances, and Collins' art is full of a vibrant, thick sense of colour. He's an artist doing good things, and his characters sing with this sense of lovely honesty. This is lived art, primal and potent. I also do love a cover that sets itself apart from many of those on the shelves at the moment.

I'd have welcome a little more work being done with the lettering, as I always feel that simply shifting from text into italics is a relatively easy default to choose in a picture book and one which shies away from the added quality good lettering can provide, but that's a small note for a book as potently performative as this.

My thanks to the publisher for a review copy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Does an Anteater Eat?.

Finished Reading