Chris's Reviews > House Made of Dawn

House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday

Dec 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

Initially I had a hard time staying with this book as it jumped around but I'm glad I did. The imagery and the soulfulness in this book is worth it. It's short but not the type of book you can read quickly. Some poems in it too. Abel is an Indian but he's lived in the white world in the armed forces. But at times it's also Hispanic with the language and culture. It's multicultural long before the term came into use. If you ever wanted to know what a LSD trip would be like you get a masterful treatment of a peyote induced trip. Momaday talks about words defeating the Indians and he is a master of words in this book describing everything in the human experience from scenery to destiny. It's heavy and melancholy as Abel, a veteran of WW II returns home to the rez in NM and has problems with alcohol. He kills a man and goes to prison. You keep hoping the best for him. Gets relocated to Los Angeles. Gets a job, loses job, drinks, and gets almost killed by a bully cop. He returns to the rez and the cycle of life. Momaday has me wanting to go out on a mesa and watch the sun rise by the time the book finishes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Made of Dawn.

December 16, 2011 – Shelved
December 27, 2012 – Started Reading
December 31, 2012 –
page 79
39.9% "Sorta slow. Some cool imagery but I'm wondering where this is going."
January 1, 2013 – Finished Reading