Book of the Month's Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

Why I Love It
by Siobhan Jones

You may be wondering why we didn’t classify this book as a thriller. We could’ve used the umbrella term, but isn’t “Appalachian noir” so much better? It’s a label that author David Joy sometimes uses to characterize his writing, which is often about ordinary, hard-working people in shady, dire situations. Think smoking guns and shadowy outlaws, but in the backcountry. I mean, how can you not want to read this?

Darl Moody is just a regular guy trying to fill his freezer with deer meat before winter comes. When he goes hunting, he doesn’t expect to accidentally bring down a human—and he definitely doesn’t expect to fell Carol Brewer of the infamously violent Brewer family, a clan that even “Jesus Christ couldn’t have saved.” Despite his attempts to cover his tracks, Darl’s mistake conjures a revenge tornado in the form of the murderous Dwayne Brewer, whose grief will only be tempered when he delivers vengeance to Darl and those closest to him.

Think Cormac McCarthy, Tarantino, or your favorite Coen Brothers film. That’s the kind of rollicking, oh-shit-what’s-gonna-happen-next ride you’re in for here. This is also a surprisingly philosophical book. Who gets to mete out justice? Isn’t “an eye for an eye” fair? For all its homespun wisdom, though, what The Line That Held Us really nails is the plot—and what could be plottier than the woodland disputes of trigger-happy vigilantes? So get this book, hunker down, and enjoy!

Read more at: https://www.bookofthemonth.com/the-li...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

Finished Reading