Christina (A Reader of Fictions)'s Reviews > Winter Glass

Winter Glass by Lexa Hillyer

it was ok
bookshelves: series-completed

I feel bad rating Winter Glass only 2 stars, because intellectually it definitely deserves more, but I follow Goodreads' rating scale, and, reading-wise, it was just okay for me. I suspect it would have been another 3 star read for me at least had HarperCollins chosen to do an audiobook for book two, as they did for book one. The shift in format threw me for a bit of a loop, as I tried to recognize names in print that I'd only heard pronounced.

Even more than Spindle Fire, Winter Glass flips tropes and pushes the boundaries of expected fairy tale narratives. It's daring and takes risks. It's unpredictable. Intellectually, I really value this book, and I'd recommend it for those who take a real interest in studying fairy tale retellings and the way they adapt.

However, all the pluses are generally counterbalanced by minuses. The book feels rushed, as though two books were condensed into one. Sometimes I would turn a page and feel like I'd missed several chapters. Other choices, while unique and intellectually interesting, were very odd from a characterization perspective. My biggest issue personally was that I didn't feel a strong connection to the characters; this is something the audiobook of book one compensated for, but without a narrator I was rather bored.

I'm going to talk in the spoiler tags about some of the really interesting elements that I liked/didn't like:
(view spoiler)

Finally, I do have some concerns about the blindness rep in this series. I do like that it's all about how capable Isbe is, but it feels like there are times it should be more of a factor than it is. I also feel like it's in third person so that her sections could be descriptive in precisely the same way as everyone else's when actually she would experience the world quite differently.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Glass.

August 1, 2018 – Started Reading