Erik Graff's Reviews > Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm

Jun 17, 2008

bookshelves: sf
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Recommended for: everyone
Read in May, 1977

I'm so lucky to have grown up when the science fiction genre was being invaded by women like Kate Wilhem and Ursula K. LeGuin. While a few male writers like Theodore Sturgeon could construct believable characters, the women who made it in the field all seemed gifted with psychological insight and the ability to instantiate it. Furthermore, some of them extended the predicate of the genre to include sciences like ecology, psychology and anthropology in addition to the traditional engineering, chemistry and physics orientations.

Growing up during the cold war also made me and many in my generation very sensitive to the problematics of globalism: of geopolitical conflict, of overpopulation, of epidemic disease, of the externalities of technology and of cancerous capitalism--possible disasters highlighted by the threat of a thermonuclear exchange. Consequently, a book like this was very attractive. Since matters have only gotten worse and people less concerned, I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang.

04/10/2016 marked as: read