megs_bookrack's Reviews > Priest of Bones

Priest of Bones by Peter McLean

bookshelves: arcs-read

Gritty, violent and highly addictive.
This book kept me glued to the pages until the very end!

The story begins with our badass protagonist, Tomas Piety, returning to his hometown after fighting in a long, brutal war. He brings with him a hodgepodge group of men, including his righthand 'man' Bloody Anne, and the mysterious child, Billy the Boy.

Not far behind comes his younger brother, Jochan, with some of his men, returning as well. The two groups band together and set out to reclaim the territory and businesses previously owned by Piety that have been pirated during his absence.

This story has everything I am looking for when I open a grimdark fantasy. I want dirt. Lots of it. Dirt, grime, blood, stink, cussing, fighting and no mercy. Just me?

This book had all of those things in spades but it also had a lot more. It deals with some heavier topics that I think were handled really well; rather impressively in fact. For example, a lot of the men returning from the war were struggling with issues relating to PTSD. In the novel, they refer to it as 'battle sickness' and it didn't gloss over that fact; it discussed it, showed what that meant amongst the men and how they helped one another.

It also examined the aftermath of childhood sexual abuse, the effects that has as an individual is growing into an adult. There are issues with grief, with guilt, and sexual identity. This is by no means an exhaustive list, just a few that I noticed and appreciated.

That is pretty much all I want to say on the plot, as I don't want to reveal anything else that may spoil the paced reveal of the story to anyone.

All you want is more blood, and more fucking death, and it's never enough for you, is it? You've become a fucking priest of bones!

I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes Grimdark Fantasy; particularly people who may like stories like, The Song of Ice and Fire series, that have a lot of political intrigue in them and complex relationships. This story left off in the perfect place for the second book to start and trust me, I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Well done, Peter McLean, well done!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Berkley Publishing Group, for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to hearing what other readers think of this incredibly dark and delicious story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Priest of Bones.

July 31, 2018 – Shelved
July 31, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 6, 2018 – Started Reading
September 7, 2018 –
September 8, 2018 –
September 11, 2018 –
September 13, 2018 –
36.0% "Say, harsh justice, one more time...I dare you..."
September 15, 2018 –
September 16, 2018 –
65.0% "This is really good. Pick this up if you like gritty and dark atmospheres- super solid for me. You can tell it is the 1st book of a series because there is a lot of foundation being laid but not in an annoying way. I am excited to finish this to see where it leaves off."
September 18, 2018 –
September 22, 2018 – Shelved as: arcs-read
September 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara The picture of Tyrion is hilarious. 🙂

message 2: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Wonderful review!!💖😉

megs_bookrack Barbara wrote: "The picture of Tyrion is hilarious. 🙂" I know, right!? I love him!

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Wonderful review!!💖😉" Thank so much, Kat!

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!!

megs_bookrack Deanna wrote: "Great review!!!" Thank you, Deanna! I appreciate that :)

message 7: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie (Shelf Indulgence) Fantastic review! Can't wait to read this. Thanks for putting it on my radar. 💛

megs_bookrack Marie wrote: "Fantastic review! Can't wait to read this. Thanks for putting it on my radar. 💛" Thank you, Marie! I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I am anxiously awaiting the 2nd book!