Elizabeth 's Reviews > Fury of the Phoenix

Dec 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-fantasy, fiction-romance, fiction-ya
Read in December, 2011

This one is honestly hard to judge. I loved it — totally happy ending, totally deserved! — but if you hadn't read Silver Phoenix, this would make no sense whatsoever. So: rockin' sequel, but not actually a good standalone *book*.

Ai Ling is awesome wearing an awesome coat. I kind of adore her a lot. And I love how much she loves food. I am less than thrilled that she loses her supernatural power by the end, because I really would've liked to see a heroine make choices and use a magical power which was originally morally ambiguous and tied to a male progenitor for good, but fine, I didn't write this.

Also, uh, Ms. Pon: stained glass, in a building, looks pretty awful from the outside. The point is the effect from inside, with the sunlight coming through. I will give you a lot of leeway, given the existence of magic, on the colors used, but dude. I realize this is nitpicky, but (a) it kept irritating me, throughout the scenes set in Jiang, and (b) someone should've caught that in edits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury of the Phoenix.