Heather K (dentist in my spare time)'s Reviews > Muse of Nightmares

Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor

It’s the mind. It’s the most complex and astonishing thing there is, that there’s a world inside each of us that no one else can ever know or see or visit.

The audiobook of Strange the Dreamer is currently my favorite book of 2018 so I had BIG expectations of Muse of Nightmares. Sometimes expectations that are unrealistically high can ruin a sequel, so I tried to keep my hopes in check (unsuccessfully, I'll admit). I kept thinking, where could Laini Taylor take the story and would all of my questions be answered? How could she compete with such a glorious first book?

Answer: she took it to all the right places, AND most of my questions were, indeed, answered.

First of all, let's talk about how amazing Steve West is. I mean, he is a true master narrator, and I sat in my car and on my couch, quietly staring off into space for hours, letting his voice just transport me into this alternate world.

The plot of this story is... indescribable, even more so than Strange the Dreamer. How the author came up with these ideas and plot twists will continue to amaze and astonish me for many months to come. I was completely invested in this story and these characters, and I simply didn't want it to end. I had a hard time letting these characters go.

Though, if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, the conclusion of the story wasn't my favorite. It felt draggy and over-explained, like the author didn't know where to stop the story. However, I could easily look past that flaw.

The author left the book open for more stories in this world, and I hope she continues, because Laini Taylor did something special here.

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Muse of Nightmares.

July 31, 2018 – Shelved
October 21, 2018 – Shelved as: little-to-no-sex-content
October 21, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites-2018
October 21, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 21, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Sam (AMNReader) Yep, not missing audio for this one!

Asami Me too, I'm most excited about the audiobook

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) The audio should be amazing! It was perfect for the first!

Asami Sure is, it's one of my favorites, I have listened to it more times than I can count.

Claudia *screaming with Heather*

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Claudia wrote: "*screaming with Heather*"

wooooohooooo!

Rebecca I don’t do audio, but just finished reading this one. So great. So very great.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Rebecca wrote: "I don’t do audio, but just finished reading this one. So great. So very great."

I'm soooo excited!

message 9: by Bev (new)

Bev Strange the Dreamer audio still in my Q, but I will get around to it 😉

message 10: by Bibi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bibi I’m screaming with you!😱

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Bibi wrote: "I’m screaming with you!😱"

I'm forcing myself to finish The Kiss Quotient on audio then then I can dive in !!

message 12: by Shin Mon (new) - added it

Shin Mon Thway I need your review ASAP!!!!!

Claudia I'm halfway there and I must be a ghost by now.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Shin Mon wrote: "I need your review ASAP!!!!!"

I don't even know where to start!!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Claudia wrote: "I'm halfway there and I must be a ghost by now."

I know. Just... dead.

Sam (AMNReader) Great review! I'm sure you've seen me call SW+LT a word bath before. It's like soaking in pleasant warm water. I might have quit this otherwise. (And anyone reading this can rest assured I've only seen one other friend here who felt the same!) I could reread Strange though. Or relisten!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "Great review! I'm sure you've seen me call SW+LT a word bath before. It's like soaking in pleasant warm water. I might have quit this otherwise. (And anyone reading this can rest assured I've only ..."

I saw your review, and I also totally got your points!

Laxmama Great review I had been waiting to book 2 on audio before starting the first - this is definitely my next audio

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Laxmama wrote: "Great review I had been waiting to book 2 on audio before starting the first - this is definitely my next audio"

You won't be sorry!