Linda's Reviews > The Body in the Casket

The Body in the Casket by Katherine Hall Page

liked it

This was my first experience with Page and her character, Faith Fairchild. This was a continuation of my summer project of trying out new (to me) authors. I did not realize it was a recipe mystery. If I had, I probably would have passed it up. More on that later.

I enjoyed these characters and even though some were barely more than a mention, their brief life on the pages was enough to make me want to read another in the series. Ignoring the murder for the moment, Faith, her family, and her neighbors all seemed like real people living real lives; so real in fact that I wondered if Page received renumeration for product placement.

The mystery does not involve a murder and when the villain is revealed, the resolution seems a bit too pat. This story is more a look at some interesting characters than a puzzle to solve. Finally, I applaud the way Page deals with the whole caterer/recipe angle. I find recipe insertion in cozy mysteries an overused, tired device that interferes with pacing and plot. I do not read mysteries to learn how to bake a cupcake or whip up a casserole. Page puts all her recipes at the end of the book. Bravo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body in the Casket.

Started Reading