Linda Strong's Reviews > Ladybird

Ladybird by Stewart Giles

bookshelves: read-in-2018

DS Jason Smith is on the verge of handing his badge in at the end of his bereavement leave, when he gets a call from a friend. His friend has been arrested for the murder of a student and wants Smith to investigate and prove his innocence.

The student was killed with a bread knife and many ladybirds (ladybugs) were left on his body. Intrigued, Smith decides to stay with law enforcement and begins looking into the student's history.

A day or so later, another man is found dead with ladybirds scattered around his body. In one respect, it proved his friend's innocence as he was behind bars at the time of this man's murder.

Smith is introduced to Dr. Karen Wood, an Entomologist. As Smith gets drawn closer to this mysterious woman and more and more men wind up dead with ladybirds on their bodies Smith quickly realizes that Dr Wood is not who she seems to be.

Smith and his team unearth a terrible secret from twenty years earlier; somebody wants justice and, as more and more men die, Smith realizes he is running out of time to find out who.

This is an excellent addition to a series. Although 5th in the series, it reads easily as a stand alone. As always, I highly recommend starting at the very beginning. The earlier books tell how Jason got to where he is ... and how he has matured since.

This book is full of twists and turns. I pride myself in guessing the who-dun-its .... but it just didn't happen with this one. The author had me running in circles. I enjoy the characters of Smith, and his partner Erica Whitton. They relate to each other a lot of time with humor. And underneath the laughs, and sometimes sarcasm, I can see how much they support and protect each other.

I always look forward to this author's books ... lots of action, fast-paced, likeable characters and unique bad guys. And I was not disappointed with LADYBIRD.

Many thanks to the author / Books n All Promotions / Jill Burkinshaw for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ladybird.

July 31, 2018 – Shelved