Krys's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Dec 15, 2011

bookshelves: fairy-tale-themed, young-adult, own, third-person-narrative, retelling, science-fiction, series-i-love, read-in-2012, series
Recommended for: Everyone

Last year Cinder was in my top ten books. I loved it, every moment of it. This week the sequel, Scarlet, showed up in the mail and I quickly turned to it. And, once again, I loved it. Every bit.

* Spoilers for those who have not read Cinder yet *

Scarlet Benoit is a young woman from a small town in France. She's has lived there for years with her Grandmere, Michelle, on a vegetable farm. When her Grandmere goes missing Scarlet vows to find her no matter what. Her search brings her to Wolf, a young street fighter with a secret past. She suspects he has something to do with the dissapearance but allies with him anyways. When their information leads them to Cinder, the infamous cyborg ball-crasher, it's anyone's guess which side she'll be on. Cinder is wanted by the Emperor, Kai, and the Lunar Queen, Levana, who will stop at nothing to retrieve her.

Marissa Meyer is a fabulously inventive world builder. The methods in which she weaves the traditional fairy tales into a science fiction dynamic are really fantastic. I absolutely adored what she did with this one. I was ambivalent to read a new character since I had loved Cinder so much, but I took to Scarlet immediately. She's determined and smart and full of fire. Wolf won me over too. He's crushworthy in only the way that YA characters can be. I pretty much fell for his animal like mannerisms from the word go. It's a relief to see Cinder and Kai back as well. I'm glad that they were not completely out of the picture. It would have been a shame to see them go so soon.

I cannot wait for book three. Marissa Meyer, please write faster! Please!

5 out of 5 stars.

- review courtesy of

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

December 15, 2011 – Shelved
December 15, 2011 – Shelved as: fairy-tale-themed
December 15, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 25, 2012 – Started Reading
July 25, 2012 – Shelved as: own
July 30, 2012 –
page 271
59.96% "Been camping for 4 days. I've had less time to read than I thought I I would, but now I have to go sit in a hospital waiting room for 8 hours... so this is getting finished today, I've no doubt."
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: third-person-narrative
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: retelling
July 30, 2012 – Shelved as: science-fiction
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: series-i-love
July 31, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012
July 31, 2012 – Finished Reading
November 9, 2012 – Shelved as: series

message 1: by Ansindt (new) - added it

Ansindt I am very excited for this one=)

Cassie ARG. I am very jealous! HAHA. I desperately want an ARC of this.

Katie Can't wait for your review!!

message 4: by Anaelle (new) - added it

Anaelle Bohbot better than cinder?

Krys Anaelle wrote: "better than cinder?"

I wouldn't say better... good in a different way. I loved both books.

Mad Scientist I too loved Cinder! It hit the steampunkery area just nicely. Plus I read it after I recently went to Beijing so it was a double plus. I can hardly wait for this one. Now I'm even more excited!

ajia are kai and cinder in it enough? is there enough romance between them ?

message 8: by E (new) - rated it 4 stars

E how long did it take for them to send you a copy??

Krys Elie wrote: "how long did it take for them to send you a copy??"

I got mine in August. And I read it the weekend I got it...

Charlie Ika-Heimonen I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.