Van's Reviews > Creating a Life Worth Living

Creating a Life Worth Living by Carol Lloyd

One of the most valuable things I've ever read, Creating a Life Worth Living, provides practical exercises for building a creative life. One size does not fit all, and this book illuminates the different kinds of people who become artists and innovators. Becoming a creative person is itself an act of creativity, and calls us to think beyond the familiar rules and norms.

Lloyd does not rely on popular systems like the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator to understand yourself and how you work. She has developed her own tools applicable to artists, through canny observation and thoughtful inquiry. As examples, each chapter profiles someone who has found their own eccentric way to live creatively.

I first read it in 1998 when it was new. It was like having a coach or mentor who encouraged me not to follow their path but find my own. I wasn't ready to follow through all the lessons. I've revisited the book several times over the years. Other books more specific to the craft of writing have guided me recently. However, Lloyd's book set the foundation, excavating my own values, desires, and ways of doing things. I have been more confident and better prepared to make choices.

I've become a connoisseur of self-help books, and this is the one I cherish most affectionately. I strongly recommend it for any young creative person, especially those who feel torn between what is expected and what seems important for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creating a Life Worth Living.

Started Reading