Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~'s Reviews > Dark Child

Dark Child by Jo Raven

bookshelves: arcs, jo-raven

5 Stars...

So anyone who reads my reviews probably knows how much I love this author. I have been a devoted fan since she released her first book, Asher. Every single one of her books gives me heart palpitations. Jo Raven is amazing at writing books where boundaries are always crossed, hearts are torn to shreds and life is not pleasant. Her characters, specifically her heroes, are broken, emotionally and sometimes physically tortured. They have strong physical attributes but their hearts are heavy. What I love most is while she puts her characters through emotional trauma, Jo will always give you their healing. That said, Dark Child was another amazing book by Jo Raven. This author still sits at number one on my favorite author's list.

The genre of this book states contemporary romance. In addition, this book is dark, angsty, suspenseful and passionate. If you've read Jo's previous books, you'll know they all interconnect in some way. Merc is Gigi and Octavia's younger brother. And we've met him several books ago when he was just 15/16 years old. He is now 19 and a college student. He has a part time job at Matt's (his brother-in-law) garage. I will say that Merc was an amazing character. There was nothing about him I didn't like, except the emotional torture he suffered in this book. My heart was so heavy for him.

I don't want to go into any details for fear of spoiling anything for you. I can tell you that Merc suffers from horrific nightmares. He tries to keep this to himself but ends up being something he can't handle on his own. When he meets Cosima at school, he is instantly attracted but confused by her hot/cold behavior toward him and this only adds to his already rising stress level. But sometimes things aren't always what they seem. Cosima was a perfect heroine for Merc. She was the calm in his trauma.

There were some predictable aspects in this book. I loved how Jo gave Merc his healing. It wasn't quick or easy which made his issues believable. And I'll add that the dynamic of Merc and his family is precious. They are loving , protective and loyal to a fault.

There are several new characters introduced in Dark Child. I know will be giving us their stories soon. Of course we get tidbits and hunts of the premises and I have my suspicions where she may go. Especially with JC. I absolutely can't wait for those books!

Dark Child can be read as a standalone. However, I found that having previously read the other sibling's books, make me appreciate the story much more. So if you haven't, I recommend you check out this author's other books.

This is my honest and unbiased review. Thank you taking the time to read it. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Child.

July 30, 2018 – Shelved