Kate Narita's Reviews > The Diamond and the Boy: The Creation of Diamonds The Life of H. Tracy Hall

The Diamond and the Boy by Hannah Holt

Absolutely love the dual narrative in this book because it shows how something, graphite, and someone, Tracy Hall, both unappreciated in their younger life can turn into treasures. The narrative also highlights the fact that when people spend time putting items or people down, instead of celebrating strengths, that riches go unnoticed. Within the text itself, readers see how Tracy Hall overcame bullying and poverty to become a successful inventor. The backmatter talks about the challenges the author, Hannah Holt, had in getting to know her grandfather because of his memory loss. I'll be using this text in my classroom in a couple of different ways. I'll pair it with Melissa Stewart's Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes and Stinkers: Celebrating Animal Underdogs and with Patricia Polacco's Thank you, Mr. Falker to talk about bullying. I'll also pair it with Jessie Oliveros' The Remeber Balloons and Minh Le's Drawn Together to talk about ways to strengthen relationships between intergenerational family members.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond and the Boy.

July 30, 2018 – Started Reading