Annie's Reviews > Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim by L.A. Witt

bookshelves: arcs, m-m, military-law-enforcement, worth-the-reread

4.5 stars- A great ending to a great series of standalones

Sink or Swim is the eighth and final book of the Anchor Point series, and is precisely the reason I’m quick to recommend this set of standalones to any fan of military romances. The pairing of a Protestant chaplain and a former military member who’s a practicing Muslim was definitely unique. As I’ve come to expect from this author and series, both men and their religions were fairly represented and described in a compassionate way that not only delivered an interesting storyline, but also provided a window into their distinctive experiences.

I found both heroes likable. However, it was their backgrounds and history that really pulled me in because they were so different than the norm. The honest reflection of military life during don’t-ask-don’t-tell and Muslim service members’ experiences post 9/11 gave this story depth and richness beyond the typical military romance. I also enjoyed the slower, steady approach to Alhazar and Dylan’s relationship. There was plenty of time for the connection to develop, and though their chemistry had blistering moments, the men’s easy emotional bond struck me most.

For those who have read other books, there are some great cameos of past couples and even a wedding included in the storyline that really gives the Anchor Point series a fitting send-off. A fantastic set of romances that offers honest portrayals of life in, with, and after the military, this is one series I never hesitate to mention to fans of the trope. Each book offers up a unique set of characters with interesting stories and backgrounds that showcase the diversity of military members and their experiences, and Sink or Swim was a great cap, leaving me sad the series is over but really happy with how it ended.

*eARC received via Netgalley. The author and publisher had no influence over this review*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sink or Swim.

July 29, 2018 – Started Reading