Maggie Stiefvater's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jun 17, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, recommended

"The Most Dangerous Game" meets Survivor. I loved it: deft characterization wrapped tightly around this lean, brutal plot that absolutely grabbed me and hung on. This was one that I started reading in the morning and snarled at all comers until I had finished it in the evening. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew.****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

02/17/2016 marked as: read

Nallely Have you read Catching Fire yet? I loved Hunger Games, but Catching Fire surpassed my expectations and I loved it more than Games!!!

Maggie Stiefvater I thought it was a brilliant follow up, and I didn't think such a thing was possible!

Monique I kept being directed to this book by various online recommendations, but was utterly disturbed by the synopsis and was aghast that it was a YA book considering the theme (deadly Big Brother with innocent children).
I had just finished reading Cormac MacCarthy's THE ROAD (genius and radical in the way it is composed but hands down the most disturbing story I have ever read) and after that back-pack of bricks, I wanted something light and entertaining and HUNGER GAMES just wasn't in that category.
So I pushed it to the back of my mental bookshelf (prior to my upgrade to Goodreads obviously) until I was out of reads one day. I'd flitted through some light stories and enjoyed the ripples they made, but longed for something to make big waves in me again.
HUNGER GAMES was exactly what I was looking for at the time; obsession and all consuming squeeeeee!. I wanted something to dive into and not surface from until I finished, which HUNGER GAMES and very soon after (less than 24 hours)CATCHING FIRE did. My only disappointment is that I read them too soon and now have to wait for the final book in the trilogy.
I jiggled my feet up and down, paced the room, chewed my nails and all but bit the book from the anxious tension.
I suggest reading it in tandem with an equally gluttinous reader so that you have someone to share heart palpitations with and lament at Katniss's quandry/ies that tumble from one to the next in unrealistic, yet totally believable fashion.

Happy Bookaholic "I not only bought these books with money, but with my heart too. Totally bought it!" - Niiice.

Maggie Stiefvater So glad you loved it, Monique. :)

Corey Hey Maggie, out of curiosity what did you think of Mockingjay?

Maggie Stiefvater Corey wrote: "Hey Maggie, out of curiosity what did you think of Mockingjay?"

ummmmm . . . I liked the "real/ not real" bits. I'll leave it at that.

Nallely My book club was evenly divided on mockingjay. I loved the real/not real parts too!

Joline Moore This is a sure-to-be classic all kids should read. can't put it down. I am sure it will be required reading in the near future...LOVE IT!

Tiana luuuuuved this book. and now i am using it as the book for a literary luncheon that my english class i doin

Maryanne Grabo Maggie, you should give Journey into the Realm: The Elf Girl a look. Like the Hunger Games, there is adventure, romance, danger and mystery. I loved the Hunger Games and I can't wait to sink into Catching Fire. I can't wait for the movie. Just hope they stay as close to the story line as possible, because it was great. Speaking of great...can't wait for Shiver to hit the big screen. Another one of my all time favorites!

Jordan I loved this book and I also love your books sooooo much you couldn't imagine!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

mockingjay is my fave! also can u write another book like the scorpio races????? it was amazing!!!! even better than shiver!

Nerissa Who wrote the last comment? Was it me? When touch it my name comes up....... weird..........but i just wanted to let you know you are my favourite author because of the shiver trilogy because everything in it was so ME i have been obsessed with wolves since i was 3 and i dont know why, i love playing the guitar, i write poems for everything i see like sam writes songs, i love to paint like SERIOUSLY love to paint like grace's mum and i love music but my favourite is emocore which i picture to be NARKOTICA's sound . Also I LOVE❤❤❤❤❤ to read so these books were my perfect match.........i know this is the hunger games page but i thought you might see this comment here... (Btw i really liked the hunger games). And it wasnt just what was in the book (the shiver books) it was how it was written with such passion since most books dont give you room to think for yourself and call that passion but you managed to let me see colours as i read... You probably dont know what i mean so i will explain... I see a colour for everything i do and for your shiver books i saw a bright yellow and snowy white and i hate the colour yellow but this was different it was amazing it was refeshing yet cozy and warm with sadness longing and despair yet hope and love i can barely put it in words what i felt. After this i read raven boys now i cant wait for the other books and though i dont even know anything about horses i just finished the scorpio races today and that last page made me cry first with grieving and then when i got the last line it was tears of joy this is why you are my favourite author and when i grow up i want to be an author if vet doesnt work out i know this is long and has nothing to do with hunger games but please, PLEASE READ THIS❤❤❤❤

Faith I love this book, is so amazing, the story is so stranger but very incredible, is one of my favorite books, I just love it.

Chloe Armstrong This book is seen by many as cliche. But only those of us who truly understand the book know that it is exactly the opposite. That this is one of the very few books that our world revolves around, along with The Raven Boys, PJ, and HP.

violet How do I read the book