Agatha's Reviews > The Other Life

The Other Life by Ellen Meister

F 50x66
Dec 15, 2011

did not like it

Bleh. Skip this one. A hot jumbled mess of every “controversial” social topic you could imagine, thrown together to make a very weak story line. Let’s see: we’ve got mental illness (check!), homosexuality (check!), suicide (check!), abortion (check!), internet sex (check!), hmm, what else? Probably some more that I am missing. OH, and did I mention: ridiculous “portals” through which the main character can travel to experience what her life would have been had she not married her husband? Yeah, it’s another one of those “sliding doors”/”what would my life be like IF. . .” types of books. This would have been fine with me if it had been better written and not the hot mess of topics listed above (like she just tossed them all into a grocery cart, willy nilly). Plus, the lady’s writing style wasn’t very strong and had weaknesses like this:

"Once a professional thief in Manhattan had clipped an expensive gold bracelet off her writs, though she didn’t realize it until later.”

Really? If you didn’t realize it until later, then how do you know a) who did it or b) whether he/she was a professional or not? This makes no sense. I was kind of surprised these types of things were not cleaned up in editing. Oh well! :) Don’t waste your time on this one! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Life.

message 1: by Misti (new)

Misti Pittman Thank you for your honest review. Very thought out and practical! I started this book & have been "muddling" through while reading other books in between. For me, as a mother, I was lost when she thought about going through the "portal" in the grocery store and leaving her son there! And then, I made it to where she goes into the wall behind the ironing board, finds out her Mom is alive & she can see her for her B-Day dinner before she & the old man leave the country & now she's wavering on finding the opening to go back to her husband, son, & difficult pregnancy! I really love Ellen Meister's books, but this one, I'm having SO much trouble with! I hate leaving a book unfinished! I'm being pulled between just gritting my teeth & finishing it & just forgetting about it all together!

Molly Don't forget the pages spent detailing how to make Isaac a clingy cry-baby child. Ugh.