Johann (jobis89)'s Reviews > Alias Grace

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

bookshelves: favorites

”If we were all on trial for our thoughts, we would all be hanged.”

A fictionalised retelling of the story of Grace Marks and the part that she may or may not have played in the murders of Thomas Kinnear and Nancy Montgomery. Grace was only 16 when she accused of murdering her employer and his housekeeper.

This is a fantastic mix of true crime and historical fiction! Atwood blends the two wonderfully, even including actual excerpts from reports and books, as well as pictures of the two charged with the murders. Atwood’s research and attention to detail is very apparent, although I held off on reading about the true crime case that inspired the novel until after I had finished.

The story kicks off with Grace in Kingston Penitentiary, serving her sentence for these murders. That is until Doctor Simon Jordan becomes involved in her case and tries to unlock some of the memories that she claims are hidden away. What unravels is a slow-paced yet addictive read, brimming with sex, violence and commentaries on both class and gender. And I could not get enough!

My overwhelming reaction to this book was to simply be in awe of Atwood’s writing and wit. She provides such sharp astute observations that are equally intelligent and droll - I definitely sniggered on more than a few occasions.

To summarise, Atwood is a goddamn queen. Alias Grace surpasses The Handmaid’s Tale as my favourite Atwood to date and is up there in my top 10 books of the year so far! I loved every single page! 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alias Grace.

July 29, 2018 – Shelved
July 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 14, 2019 – Started Reading
June 17, 2019 –
page 189
34.68% "We are not worthy of Atwood’s genius!!"
June 19, 2019 –
page 333
61.1% "I am obsessed with this one"
June 22, 2019 – Finished Reading
July 3, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Tundextra (new)

Tundextra Queen indeed :) I look forward to your review, as this is an Atwood I'm yet to read :)

Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You don't wait for the review, just read it!
not that i am uninterested in your review, Johann :)

message 3: by Tundextra (new)

Tundextra Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You wrote: "don't wait for the review, just read it!
not that i am uninterested in your review, Johann :)"

Atwood is my most fave author of them all, by a long way, so I'm trying to space out her books... one every six months! Handmaid's Tale reread is next, then next year Alias Grace :)

Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You What about a rabid badger attack that takes your eyesight?!?!? Read them now!!! 🤣