Carolyn's Reviews > Small Animals: Parenthood in the Age of Fear

Small Animals by Kim Brooks

This book spoke to me. As a mother, this book spoke to me. As a millennial, this book spoke to me. As a member of society, this book spoke to me. I want to hand this book out to all of the parents I know and tell them to read it now - and then some! .

True Story. Nonfiction: Author Kim Brooks’ story starts the day she consciously left her son in her car for 5 minutes while she ran in to Target to grab something and finds out later that day that she is being criminally charged with endangering her child for doing so. I’ve read about her personal story before in various articles and it always piqued my interest, so I was happy to preview this one even though #nonfiction isn’t normally my thing.

Kim Brooks doesn’t just tell her story through, she pokes it and questions it and researches it and find others who have similar stories to share. Kim shines a light on what parenting is like now and how the expectations of parents have changed within a generation. With subtopics including competitive parenting, consumerism, perinatal anxiety and how parenthood varies geographically (just to name a few). Brooks exposes what parenting is now, in what she calls the Age of Fear and questions what we are actually (and should actually be) afraid of. .

I’m lucky because not only did I get to preview this book, but thanks to Macmillan Audio I got to preview the audio version as well. Nonfiction audiobooks narrated by the author are definitely my favorite way to experience this genre and Kim Brooks’ narration is no exception; her passion and the work she has put in to this truly comes across on the page and through her voice.

So, if you can enter with an open mind and if you are a parent, or someone considering parenthood soon, or a person who better wants to understand your friends who are currently parents, or someone who has already raised your children but better wants to understand how your son or daughter is experiencing parenthood - Read (or listen to) This Book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Animals.

July 29, 2018 – Shelved