Melissa's Reviews > Vampire Breed

Vampire Breed by Tim O'Rourke

Dec 15, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, good-to-read-at-least-once, vampires
Read in December, 2011

This one is my favorite so far!! I am always looking for a new series to fall in love with and by chance a month ago I tried the first novel. Loved it so much that I read the 1st 2nd and 3rd book all in a week. The things I love best about this series is that 1. Kiera is not a whiny needed clingy woman that so many paranormal books portray (i.e. Twilight etc - sorry not a big fan) 2. The breed is unique so you don't feel like you have read it before 3. Story is paced nicely with intrigue - so many times the author spends too much time on character development that when it comes to the climax of the plot it feels rushed, with these novels the story is nicely paced and the characters are well developed without sacrificing thestory. 3. Not too much backstory - this is a pet peeve of mine. I understand the need for some backstory to help "jog" your memory a bit or for the random person who decided to start reading a series in the middle, but too many times authors spend the first chapter recapping the previous book. This drives me nuts! Tim does an amazing job of allowing for some back story but spacing it out throughout the book so you never feel like you are rereading the previous books. The action and very detailed descriptions of kiera in this book made me feel like I understood everything she was feeling. Great job - can't wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Breed.