Marika Gillis's Reviews > The Seduction of Water

The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman

Jun 17, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, mysteries
Recommended to Marika by: Erin B

This book was recommended to me by a good friend and fellow reader, Erin. She is a fan of mystery writer, Carol Goodman, and now so am I.

In The Seduction of Water, Iris Greenfeder is a college professor in a 10-year relationship with her boyfriend Jack when she gives her classes a writing assignment that set in motion a series of unexpected, life-changing events. The assignment to write about a favorite fairy tale from childhood was inspired by Iris' own mother's tale of 'The Selkie's Daughter'. Iris's mother was a published writer and her fairy tale was told in her published novels, two in what was to be a trilogy. She died in a mysterious hotel fire before she was able to publish the third book. When Iris returns to the hotel she grew up in, resolved to solve the mystery of her mother's death and find the third manuscript in the trilogy, she finds herself discovering more than she ever expected about her mother's life.

This book was a wonderful, intelligent mystery. The story line was engaging and the character of Iris was interesting. I also really enjoyed the way Carol Goodman interweaved fairy tales throughout the novel, sparking my own memories of the fairy tales I enjoyed as a child. While it failed to develop the frantic panic that I love to feel as I read a scary psychological thriller (like Harlan Coben, Mary Higgins Clark, and Patricia Cornwell books), The Seduction of Water was well-developed and much more intriguing than most mysteries I have read. It is a mystery for a mature, intelligent reader and after finishing it, I am really looking forward to reading more of Carol Goodman's novels!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seduction of Water.