Book of Secrets ☘'s Reviews > The Book of Lost Fragrances

The Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. Rose

Dec 15, 2011

liked it
Read from March 10 to April 02, 2012

I’m a bit scent-obsessed, even making my own perfumes and soap years ago, so this book really caught my eye on NetGalley. The blurb describes THE BOOK OF LOST FRAGRANCES as a “sweeping and suspenseful tale,” and that is a completely accurate description. It was an intricate story involving reincarnation, soul mates, the history of perfume making, China’s policy on Tibet, Buddhism, the Chinese mafia, Ancient Egypt and the power scent has over a person’s mind. Complex, right? The author did a masterful job weaving all of those element together in this fascinating book.

My favorite parts of the story were the flashbacks to the past lives of the main characters, especially their time in Ancient Egypt, and also the rich descriptions of the scents and smells the characters experienced. I think my only problem with the book was the ending. In my opinion, the plot had been building up to one particular conclusion, and then – ? I was really hoping for a solid resolution to the reincarnation story line. I don’t know if the author is leaving an opening for a sequel, but I feel like this story is incomplete as is. Overall, though, I enjoyed THE BOOK OF LOST FRAGRANCES, especially the wonderful details of fragrance making. I’d recommend this book to scent-fanatics like me, and to history and archaeology buffs too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Fragrances.