Luanne Castle's Reviews > Tracking Happiness: A Southern Chicken Adventure

Tracking Happiness by Ellen Morris Prewitt

bookshelves: fiction

People sometimes ask me for fiction recommendations, and when they ask for a funny book, I remember that my list is very short. Sometimes they ask me for a feel good book, and that list is also pretty short. But since I just finished Ellen Morris Prewitt’s new novel Tracking Happiness: A Southern Chicken Adventure, I am putting it at the top of both lists.

The protagonist, Lucinda Mae Watkins from Edison, Mississippi, is young and exuberant and blessed with a flair for finding thrift store gems to display on her skinny frame. She also misses her deceased daddy like anything and, perhaps without realizing it, is searching for love to fill her big heart.

Lucinda’s father’s reputation and the family’s financial security has been threatened by Big Doodle, the owner of the chicken restaurant chain her father helped to start. So she undertakes a train ride with her best friend, a retired ballet dancer with his own journey to make.

The characters are colorful, the plot developments unpredictable but spot-on, and the book very well written. But what I love best is that the book makes the reader realize that an open and giving heart is the best medicine for the pain of our ridiculous world.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tracking Happiness.

July 28, 2018 – Shelved