Kura's Reviews > Harvest. A Novel

Harvest. A Novel by Christine Carrell

bookshelves: favorites, new-zealand-authors

In many regards Harvest is a hidden history: Rose is a pioneer in the changing role of New Zealand country women during the twentieth century. She is a symbol of so many rural women who were given a glimpse of their raw potential via education, but ultimately still bound by tradition and the expectations of becoming a wife and mother.

Harvest is not a quick read, but that’s as it should be, after all this is a life-story covering a long span of time. And life does not present itself in fast-paced “plot bundles”, rather it unfolds and enlightens us we grow with it, giving insight and hindsight to the hardships endured by another generation.

The prose is extremely well-crafted, and deftly captured the characters and relationships, breathing life into words and creating relatable New Zealand people who I found both familiar and yet alien, our lives separated not by the distance of the rural landscape but by a gulf of social change.

There were many aspects of Rose’s life that were incomprehensible to me and I feel that young women, and not-so-young women like myself, could well receive our own education from Rose’s example. Ultimately Rose’s story is one of perseverance and doing your bit, in order to make life better for those women who come after you.

Harvest is an emotional journey of true sentiment and not sentimentality. Harvest is a story of hope.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvest. A Novel.

July 27, 2018 – Started Reading