Carrie's Reviews > Frequency

Frequency by Christopher Krovatin

bookshelves: netgalley

Frequency by Christopher Krovatin is a young adult/new adult fantasy read that seems to be a modernized, dark and twisted retelling of the Pied Piper. With mentions of sex and drug use this one would probably be best for the older teens.

When Fiona was nine her small suburb of Hamm was being overrun with teens partying so the town council which included Fiona’s father came up with a plan. Contacting a teen known as the Pit Viper they were told or 100k he could run off the group so they would not return. Spying on her father Fiona witnessed the agreement and the aftermath of that night with the Pit Viper.

Now at eighteen Fiona has grown into her own love for music and shares the passion with her boyfriend who always brings her his new musical finds. When a recording of the Pit Viper shows up Fiona can’t help but wonder if it’s the same guy from all those years ago and when she gets the chance to see him she can’t help but take it.

Ok, being a fan of retellings, fantasy and music this one was sure to be interesting to me on some level and when finished I can say it definitely was. The one thing I questioned though was why bother with starting the book with the main character just having sex and her friends teasing her with it’s about time… what kind of message does that start off with when it’s not necessary for the story? I would have preferred it being cleaned up a bit more so to speak and just concentrating on the mystery of the music and without those little things added but otherwise I’d recommend this more to the new adult crowd.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frequency.

July 27, 2018 – Shelved