Joan's Reviews > Last Looks: A Novel

Last Looks by Howard Michael Gould

liked it

I enjoyed this debut novel, a mystery that centers on an interesting hero in a crazy Hollywood setting. Waldo, an LAPD cop turned hermit, makes the story. He left the force, violently burning his bridges. He'd believed a lying witness and the wrong guy paid a deadly price. He attacked the police force and made way too many enemies. An old girlfriend, a PI, invades his reclusive get away and asks for his help in finding a murderer.

I think Waldo makes this novel work. He has become a minimalist and allows himself only one hundred Things. His ruminations about why people have “stuff” really made me think. So did his coming down from his recluse mountain cabin to work the case. What a contrast, three years of silence and self sustenance to the glittery world of Hollywood.

I recommend this mystery to readers who enjoy a character driven mystery. I think you'll like Waldo's tenacious spirit. You'll also get a glimpse into the strange culture of Hollywood and some of the odd people involved in the movie business.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Looks.

July 27, 2018 – Started Reading