Julie's Reviews > The Mermaid's Daughter

The Mermaid's Daughter by Ann Claycomb

DNF @ 91 pages. I'm becoming more cutthroat in how I abandon books, because there's just too many in this world to finish. I feel like I gave this one a good college try, too.

The book isn't terrible, but I just never wound up enjoying it or even looking forward to picking it up again, instead feeling a light irritation throughout. I really, really disliked the main character, the melodramatic and manic soprano, so being stuck in her POV was a toil -- the single chapter I reached narrated by her girlfriend Harry was the best, so mostly I found myself disappointed to have to go back to Kathleen. And the between-chapter interludes were filled with insufferably overwrought prose about a nonstop slew of women killing themselves. Not into it. I think I've read that Harry gets more POV chapters later, but the prose wasn't good enough to carry me there either.

Onto the next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Daughter.

July 27, 2018 – Shelved
July 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 27, 2018 – Shelved as: fairytales
August 27, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbtqa
August 27, 2018 – Shelved as: borrowed-from-library
August 29, 2018 – Shelved as: dnf-gave-up-or-will-never-read

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Stephanie Oh :( I just finished Act 1, and I'm looking forward to continuing - I like the musical references (even if singing jargon isn't my forte ;) ), and I find Kathleen's behavior understandable, plus it helps that she's self-aware about how she comes across. The interludes bring that fairy-tale telling tone to it for me, and has me curious how things will go.
I like Harry's chapters too, and seeing how even though Kathleen sees her as a rock, she's not quite as steady as Kathleen sees her to be.
There's also chapters from Robin, Kathleen's father, which are very heavy on the singing/composing aspects, really pushing the parallels/similes. (I just don't get why Kathleen's POV uses "Robin" instead of "Dad" which would make more sense, and why she refers to her mom by her first name Moira instead of as Mom, especially as she has no other real mother-figure in her life.)

message 2: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie I am hoping I like it, I just bought it seeing it on your to read lol!

message 3: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie @Stephanie: The interludes are very, very fairytale-y, but I just hated the mermaids' affected voice too much to enjoy that aspect of it? I'd just finished Robin's first chapter when I finally called it quits. :( Agreed about the weirdness of Kathleen's use of names, though. I could see her saying Moira because she didn't ever know her mother, but she and Robin are super close?? w h y

@Natalie: Oh noooo, never just on a currently-reading, lol, wait for the review! That said, who knows, maybe you'll love it.